Can You Help Me with My Unique Cooking Question?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonessmj

Assistant Cook
I am trying to figure out what to use for my food with a function need. I am looking for something edible that can be formed / cut to about the size of a toothpick. It needs to have strength similar to a toothpick when dry as well. I've been struggling with this for some time. I've had a couple of suggestions from people to use sweet potato (possibly dehydrated???) or some sort of caramel (I've tried this but it has been too brittle - I may not be preparing it properly). If you have other suggestions for what to use and how to prepare it I will be forever grateful. Thanks!

Dry spaghetti noodles? You could break them in pieces and brown them in a bit of butter, then stick them in whatever you're going to spear.

I think the idea of using spaghetti is a great idea. Another idea ---- How about carrot, apple, or celery sticks? Would they work? Why do the sticks have to be so thin?

What are you trying to do?

The reason I'm asking is that maybe you could accomplish your goal in a different way by using a food for a scoop,a bundle, a glue, a string etc...

I am literally trying to make a toothpick which is edible. I will give the spaghetti a try. Any other ideas?

While dry spaghetti is edible and may work as a toothpick, it's certainly not pleasant to eat.

While dry spaghetti is edible and may work as a toothpick, it's certainly not pleasant to eat.

Unless you fry it in butter.

Personally, I find the old fashioned wooden toothpicks work just fine.

I'm curious too, why re-invent the toothpick?

I think almost any food-pick would soften with the moisture in the mouth and get stuck between the teeth requiring a real tooth pick or dental floss to remove it from it's lodging. But if there is a real need, a noodle/pasta product might work for a fleeting few seconds.

I think almost any food-pick would soften with the moisture in the mouth and get stuck between the teeth requiring a real tooth pick or dental floss to remove it from it's lodging. But if there is a real need, a noodle/pasta product might work for a fleeting few seconds.

Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom