"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 11-27-2007, 09:01 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Canned Tomatoes questions

When doing large quantities of tomato sauce, should I use the juice / puree also? It seems like a lot of waste if I dont, but how does it affect the flavor if the sauce?

Thanks

Old 11-27-2007, 09:06 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

The best canned tomato for sauce?

Who makes the best canned tomato for tomato sauce. I know it should be San Marzano DOP, but what brand?

How bout Nina? I got some at Costco. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 11-27-2007, 09:23 AM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I'm one of those people who decidedly not brand loyal. Ideally you start with fresh tomatoes. However, that's usually not practical due to time and expense, so we use canned. Whatever brand I get, I always use crushed tomatoes. There CAN be noticeable flavor differences between brands, but I'm always tasting as I go, especially with sauces, and constantly adjusting the amount of herbs, seasonings, garlic, or whatever else goes into my sauce until it tastes how I want it to.

If you don't like crushed I did manage to make a really great sauce for family meal at work once, using diluted tomato base as my main base, but I also added in a whole fresh heirloom tomato that probably weighed around 10-12 oz. and man it sure made a difference.

As for brands, like I said I'm not really loyal; I go for whatever is on sale. However, if everything is priced the same, I think I go for the yellow can usually, I want to say it's called Red Gold.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:26 AM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Removing excess liquid early on simply shortens the time you need to reduce your sauce to the consistency you want, or if you're cooking your sauce for a specific amount of time, it will result in a slightly thicker sauce. I always leave the liquid in, because it carries quite a good deal of flavor in it. When you reduce, you're really just removing water from your sauce. So reduce that liquid; the water will be gone eventually, but the flavor will stay.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:45 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Those Nina from Costco are fabulous, and a bargain in the restaurant cans. Use a food mill for a smooth sauce or hand crush for a rustic sauce. But just taste one...sweet and low acid. So nice.

I also like some of the California organic ones from Miur Glen. There are some called San Marzano but grown in USA so they can't be, so always read the label carefully. But the Nina ones you speak of are my standard.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:46 AM   #6
Executive Chef

absolutely use it and cook your sauce down to the thickness you want
Old 11-27-2007, 09:51 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I think its Mia something.... I get 2 giant cans of crushed from Sam's club and build from there. Makes a nice thick sauce. But I doubt the brand matters.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:52 AM   #8
Sous Chef

I second what college_cook said, I do not have a favorite brand. I buy the store brand (unless a national brand is on sale) of whole or diced tomatoes. To make my sauce, I puree them to the desired consistency.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:56 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

canned tomato - use juice / puree?

what about tomatos that are canned in juice as opposed to puree?

Ive got to believe that the juice or puree in the can is the same tomato that is whole?

If thats the case, then I should use it all.

Would I get better flavor with using JUST the tomatos?
Old 11-27-2007, 10:03 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

For canned tomato, I buy San Marzanos. I buy whole tomatos as I feel the less they are processed, the better.

I suspect lots of brands are canned in the same factory and labels are applied as ordered.