Canned Tomatoes questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Take Out Chef

Assistant Cook
When doing large quantities of tomato sauce, should I use the juice / puree also? It seems like a lot of waste if I dont, but how does it affect the flavor if the sauce?

Thanks

The best canned tomato for sauce?

Who makes the best canned tomato for tomato sauce. I know it should be San Marzano DOP, but what brand?

How bout Nina? I got some at Costco. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I'm one of those people who decidedly not brand loyal. Ideally you start with fresh tomatoes. However, that's usually not practical due to time and expense, so we use canned. Whatever brand I get, I always use crushed tomatoes. There CAN be noticeable flavor differences between brands, but I'm always tasting as I go, especially with sauces, and constantly adjusting the amount of herbs, seasonings, garlic, or whatever else goes into my sauce until it tastes how I want it to.

If you don't like crushed I did manage to make a really great sauce for family meal at work once, using diluted tomato base as my main base, but I also added in a whole fresh heirloom tomato that probably weighed around 10-12 oz. and man it sure made a difference.

As for brands, like I said I'm not really loyal; I go for whatever is on sale. However, if everything is priced the same, I think I go for the yellow can usually, I want to say it's called Red Gold.

Removing excess liquid early on simply shortens the time you need to reduce your sauce to the consistency you want, or if you're cooking your sauce for a specific amount of time, it will result in a slightly thicker sauce. I always leave the liquid in, because it carries quite a good deal of flavor in it. When you reduce, you're really just removing water from your sauce. So reduce that liquid; the water will be gone eventually, but the flavor will stay.

Those Nina from Costco are fabulous, and a bargain in the restaurant cans. Use a food mill for a smooth sauce or hand crush for a rustic sauce. But just taste one...sweet and low acid. So nice.

I also like some of the California organic ones from Miur Glen. There are some called San Marzano but grown in USA so they can't be, so always read the label carefully. But the Nina ones you speak of are my standard.

I think its Mia something.... I get 2 giant cans of crushed from Sam's club and build from there. Makes a nice thick sauce. But I doubt the brand matters.

I second what college_cook said, I do not have a favorite brand. I buy the store brand (unless a national brand is on sale) of whole or diced tomatoes. To make my sauce, I puree them to the desired consistency.

canned tomato - use juice / puree?

what about tomatos that are canned in juice as opposed to puree?

Ive got to believe that the juice or puree in the can is the same tomato that is whole?

If thats the case, then I should use it all.

Would I get better flavor with using JUST the tomatos?

For canned tomato, I buy San Marzanos. I buy whole tomatos as I feel the less they are processed, the better.

I suspect lots of brands are canned in the same factory and labels are applied as ordered.

I use the liquid when making tomato sauce. But if I use canned tomato in place of fresh, I use just the tomato.

prime tomatoes are canned whole, damaged ones get chopped diced crushed or pureed. However, the canning is done at peek ripeness and for cooked sauces the canned product is excellent.

I want the water to evaporate but leave the tomato flavor and solids. I use the juice nad cook it down. It does not take that long and gives my sauce time to meld all the other flavors in it. If for some reason I just want the tomato, I save and freeze that juice for a soup or stew.

college cook summed it up well.

i almost always add the liquid, either puree or juice. the only time i don't add it is if i have to make a sauce very quickly.

different tomato sauces can have different thickness and texture. some can be fresh and thin, others cooked a long time to deepen the flavor and thickness. and then there's every variant in between.

sometimes you want a chunky sauce, so i'd suggest using canned whole tomatoes, well crushed by hand as they are added to the pot, along with the accompanying liquid. if you want it thick, cook it a long time on very low heat, remembering to stir often.

if you need to thicken it up quickly, add a 1/2 can of tomato paste. it acts as a slurry would when making brown gravy. (a slurry is flour or cornstarch, diluted into cold water, then added to the pan drippings from a roast and another liquid like wine, water, or stock to make a gravy.)

sometimes you want a more even, consistent sauce, so finely chopping canned tomatoes or passing them through a food mill or sieve, either chopped or whole, will give you a more homogenized result. again, add the liquid and cook down until the thickness you desire. use the same trick with paste as i'd mentioned above to speed things up.

using fresh tomatoes is a slightly different ballgame, having to deal with variations in the tomatoes such as ripeness, amount of water, seeds, etc..

it's easier, i think, to start learning how to make sauce from scartch using good canned tomatoes. look for imported tomatoes, from san marzano, italy. if you can;t find those, look for oragnic brands such as muir glen.

Who makes the best canned tomato for tomato sauce. I know it should be San Marzano DOP, but what brand?

How bout Nina? I got some at Costco. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Red Gold if you can find it.

Processed locally here in Indiana. There stuff is top grade..

another vote for the nina brand tomatoes, from costco.

they're not terribly sweet, but have good flavor. you may need to add a little sugar to help finish the sauce.

as long as the can says "San Marzano" and "Product of Italy," I'm not too fussy. I don't usually want my sauce to be too thick unless I'm making pizza. I just want it to have enough substance to coat the pasta strands.:)

as long as the can says "San Marzano" and "Product of Italy," I'm not too fussy. .:)

Me, too. I've experimented with a lot of different brands. Brought back about 5 difft. ones from Arthur Ave and did a taste test a year or so ago and couldn't tell a big difference. I will pretty much only use SM tomatoes for sauce now.

Back
Top Bottom