"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 03-09-2005, 04:33 PM   #11
Master Chef

I find it easier to carmelize onions using butter rather than oil.

Old 03-09-2005, 04:45 PM   #12
Head Chef

I make fried crisp carmalized onions and add them to top plain rice or as a garnish to anything my heart desires (soups, pilafs, thai inspired dishes or I puree them with yogurt and spices for an instant base for a curry or lamb marinade). They are really sweet and crisp.

To do this I fill a fry pan with good amount of oil. I slice 10 or so onions thinly. Once the oil is hot, I add the sliced onions with a good couple of pinches of salt. I then let the onions cook in the fat for a while until they get nice and golden. From this point on you cannot leave them unattended. They go from golden to burnt in no time.

Once they are light golden, continue to stir them and then when they get a tiny bit darker (deeper gold). Shut the heat, drain them with a nice strainer spoon and then place them on paper towels. Once the oil is absorbed and as they cool they get crispier. You can then use them immediately as a garnish or store them in an airtight container in a cool dry place and they will stay for a long time.

The caramalized version is similar to this but only differs in that not a lot of oil is used (I also like to use butter as Jennyema suggested when I just want to prepare caramalized onions) and they are more mushier than the crisp version. Both versions are sweet and concentrated.

Old 03-24-2005, 02:19 AM   #13
Head Chef

When I caramelize onions, I cut my onions along the grain, so I end up with crescents and half moons, not rings. I also do this for my French onion soup. Caramelized onion crescents look much more elegant on the dish than limp onion rings, and they are definitely easier to eat. The limp onion rings tend to dangle awkwardly from the spoon or fork, or heaven forbid, the mouth.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:47 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Here's the Martha method. I also like cutting them in wedges & adding them to mashed potatoes. One of my fav comfort food recipes is a carrot/potato whip -- mashed potatoes & mashed carrots combined & the caramelized onions mixed in & seasoned to taste. Also like them on liver.

Caramelized Onions
Makes about 1 cup
These browned, sweet onions make a wonderful topping for pizza, burgers, sandwiches, and grilled meats.

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 medium onions (about 1 1/2 pounds), sliced into 1/8-inch rounds
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)

Heat butter and oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions, and cook until they begin to soften, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Add sugar, salt, and pepper; raise heat slightly, and cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally, 30 to 35 minutes. Stir in thyme, if using, and serve warm.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:22 AM   #15
Head Chef

I make mine a la Marcella Hazan. Heat up a couple of tablespoons of olive oil add onions, and turn down the heat to low. Cook over low heat until nicely browned. It takes time,but it's worth it.