"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques
Old 02-08-2008, 01:22 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Carmelizing Onions

Hi, I am new to this site and I must say I could spend all day on all the information and recipes. I would like to know how to carmelize onions and any recipes that would use them.

summerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
The first thing that comes to mind is French onion soup. I don't have the whole soup recipe here, but here's how to caramelize onions: Heat some olive oil in a pan over medium heat, put in 2-3 thinly sliced onions, turn heat to low, and let cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, till nice and browned. I think you can do them in a crockpot, too.

You could also use them in a risotto. HTH.

The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
They are delicious on some types of sandwiches too!!
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
Executive Chef
Love love love caramelized onions, especially on pizza with roasted red peppers!
Accentuate the positives, medicate the negatives ~ Amy Sedaris
redkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
Hi, to caramelize onions, u do not always need to add oil, i dont! I just a heavy bottomed non stick pan, and put the sliced onions in it, and let them cook on their own at medium heat, stirring them every now and then, till they are nicely caramelized.
However, if you wish, you can even add 1 or 2 tsps of oil to it.
One dish of caramelized onions tat i love is chicken in creamy mushroom sauce. Sounds delicious isnt it?!
I caramelize onions, then add 1 tbsp of oil to it, throw in a few sliced Portabella mushrooms, then pour the heavy cream and lil salt. Let it come to boil. In the meantimes, bake/grill chicken breasts marinated in black pepper and salt till done.
Serve on a platter with a bed of steamed vegetables on the base, the chicken breast, then pour the sauce over it.
Have it with garlic bread, if you like.
Note:I will post its recipe with picture next-next week on my blog, but i tell you its a very yummy dish..
"Life is too short for drama & petty things,
So kiss slowly, laugh insanely,
Love truly and forgive quickly"
maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
Senior Cook
I second redkitty's feelings about caramelized onions. I sometimes use olive oil, sometimes use butter, sometimes nothing, depending on what I'm making it for. I've served them plain with steak, meatloaf, for burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, and chicken (hmm, I'm sure there are other meats but I just can't remember at the moment).

One of my favorite dishes is potato and onions. Boiled red potatoes, quartered; caramalized onions in olive oil, toss together, some salt and pepper. This is one of the sides I usually serve with a standing rib roast and with turkey.

I've also caramelized onions and sauteed with various mushrooms. Love mushrooms, too. Dang, now I'm hungry.

BTW, welcome to the forum! I'm pretty new here too and have spent a lot of of time on the forums!
CAB Cooks
plumies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:17 PM   #7
Senior Cook
i get my favorite non-stick skillet very hot, throw in just a little butter-like a tablespoon, let it foam up...

when the foaming stops, i throw in the onions and leave them alone. once they carmelize, i usually stir them just a little and crank up the heat.

then, i quickly remove the pan from the heat. this is all done very quick over med high to high heat.
black chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:43 AM   #8
Executive Chef
I make a caramelised red onion jam that is just so simple and tastes great with cheeses and cold meats or even as a condiment for a steak sandwich.

Dice red onions place in sturdy saucepan, turn on air extractor, pour in sufficient quantity of balsamic vinegar (should be of decent quality but doesn't need to be the best going) to cover the your onion. Boil until liquid reduced, and then simmer until onion cooked and takes on a jam like consistency. Allow to cool and bottle in sterilised jars. Will keep for months in cupboard and even longer in fridge.
Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:53 AM   #9
Master Chef
Love carmelized onions on all kinds of sandwiches, but best in French Onion soup. DW makes it on occasion for me using red onions.
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #10
Senior Cook
Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
I prepare something very similar to what Bilby described but using shallots, white balsamic vinegar (to keep the color clear) and a bit of honey.

I personally can't stand raw onions, so I cook them or caramelize before using.

"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are" Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote