Cart before the horse - change sequences in cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DOpig

Assistant Cook
Is there a set sequence of preparation that one should ALWAYS follow, or are there times to take liberty with when items are combined? Case in point: I wanted to make a white shrimp sauce to go over angel hair pasta. Well instead of starting with the development of the white sauce I started with sauteing shallots and garlic in EVOO. When the shallots were about caramelized I added the thawed precooked shrimp to the pan. I allowed the shrimp to come up in temperature THEN I added one TBL spoon of butter and one TBL spoon of flour to the shrimp and shallots and cooked for just a minute or so at which point I added one cup of milk and cooked till it reach the thickness I wanted.

About half way through this process I threw the pasta into the boiling water and the two were done at the same time. I drained the pasta and plated it with the shrimp sauce family style. I thought it tasted great and so did the wife.

Was I unconventional in preparing the sauce? Is there a better way?:)
p.s. I did use salt and pepper and fresh basil for seasoning.

Glad it tasted great, though I think you run the risk of overcooking the shrimp, I personally would add any seafood right at the end of cooking and get them up to temperature and then serve.

Glad it tasted great, though I think you run the risk of overcooking the shrimp, I personally would add any seafood right at the end of cooking and get them up to temperature and then serve.

I thought that would have been one of the misplaced steps. In my mind though I was thinking that I wanted the shrimp to pick up the flavor of the shallots, garlic and EVOO. Next time I'll add the Uncooked shrimp at the end.

I've actually seen Rachel Ray prepare sauces the way you did many, many times. I believe the thought it is imparts the flavor through the sauce more evenly.

What other way would you have done it? The roux first and add the shallots and shrimp after? I prefer the method you used, it sounds just so much better.

I would saute the shallots in the fat then add the flour to make a roux, whisk in the milk and cook to finish the sauce.

Then add the shrimp and cook for a minute or two-shrimp cooks very quickly. If shrimp is overcooked it gets rubbery. Add the cooked, drained pasta and simmer for a minute to get the pasta to absorb some sauce.

If you want the shrimp to pick up the flavor of the shallots, maybe throw them in and saute them like you did but remove them from the pan when you're ready to make the sauce. The make your roux and sauce adding back in the shrimp towards the end to bring them back up to temp.

Thanks for your comments Callisto, Andy M and jabbur. I will definitely try this dish again by adding the shrimp at the end. I am having great fun learning this stuff, especially when it comes out tasting good and I don't set off the smoke alarm.:LOL:

What combination of spices would you suggest I try for making this a better sauce?:chef:

Nutmeg always seems to enhance white sauce. I've seen most of the FN chefs use nutmeg in white sauce.

I had to laugh at the smoke detector comment. Mine is so screwed up it was going off when I baked brownies and they weren't even burning. The detector was just really sensitive.

As it is shrimp, you may just want to use some dill or parsley to set off the flavour.

Andy's method was what I was trying to get at - thanks for explaining it much more clearly.

As it is shrimp, you may just want to use some dill or parsley to set off the flavour.

Andy's method was what I was trying to get at - thanks for explaining it much more clearly.

My wife loves dill so since she is my favorite fan I'll give dill a try and that will keep her happy.;)

Thanks for your comments Callisto, Andy M and jabbur. I will definitely try this dish again by adding the shrimp at the end. I am having great fun learning this stuff, especially when it comes out tasting good and I don't set off the smoke alarm.:LOL:

What combination of spices would you suggest I try for making this a better sauce?:chef:
When ever I am cooking shrimp, I like a bit of garlic in there. A touch of nutmeg won't kill it. I have never tried that but I can see that working with the shrimp. I wouldn't mind a touch of smoked paprika..

Is there a set sequence of preparation that one should ALWAYS follow, or are there times to take liberty with when items are combined? Case in point: I wanted to make a white shrimp sauce to go over angel hair pasta. Well instead of starting with the development of the white sauce I started with sauteing shallots and garlic in EVOO. When the shallots were about caramelized I added the thawed precooked shrimp to the pan. I allowed the shrimp to come up in temperature THEN I added one TBL spoon of butter and one TBL spoon of flour to the shrimp and shallots and cooked for just a minute or so at which point I added one cup of milk and cooked till it reach the thickness I wanted.

About half way through this process I threw the pasta into the boiling water and the two were done at the same time. I drained the pasta and plated it with the shrimp sauce family style. I thought it tasted great and so did the wife.

Was I unconventional in preparing the sauce? Is there a better way?:)
p.s. I did use salt and pepper and fresh basil for seasoning.

If I read this correctly you were using pre-cooked shrimp and
then continued to cook them appx. 7-10 min more (the time it took to
cook your pasta).

I saute raw shrimp maybe 3 min.

Were your shrimp rubbery at the end?

I would also suggest not using EVOO for saute - most of its
special flavor is lost upon heating.:)

I'm a big believer in doing whatever works when it comes to regular cooking. In baking (which I avoid), I feel that you need to do it exactly as instructed unless you're very experienced. Baking is more of a science. When it comes to other dishes, look at the recipe and see if there really IS a reason for the order. For example, most shrimp recipes I use call for raw, fresh shrimp. Fine when I lived in Hawaii and Virginia and Florida. Now I buy some really great, IQF, pre-cooked shrimp. So I change the order often in recipes. I thaw the little (or big) buggers, and just toss them in at the last minute. Always a hit. A lot of it is simply common sense. On the other hand, don't ask me how to bake a cake or a loaf of bread! It has to be totally BY THE BOOK! But you liked it, your spouse did, guess what? You did it right!

That was my first thought. Shrimp cook VERY quickly and can be overcooked in a flash.

Mike in Brooklyn, thanks for your post and pointers. Yes the shrimp were on the rubbery side. Next time I'll use butter instead of olive oil.

Claire and Scotch,
Thanks for posting. I am having fun in this experiment called cooking. In this thread I have been taught to use fresh shrimp instead of pre-cooked, butter instead of olive oil, throw the shrimp in at the end and have the shrimp and sauce balance. And most of all, if it tastes good then it's good!

Back
Top Bottom