Cedar Plank Grilling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
callie said:
thanks, htc and DQ! I'll do some looking around locally first...then on to my friend, the internet! When ya live "out in the sticks," you do lots of online ordering! What did we do before all the www.'s???!!!

:ermm: Before we had the www.'s and the internet I actually had a life.

Callie; Good luck with your planking experience. Mine was very good. Just remember to soak the planks before cooking on them. :)

bnox; I've got pork chops thawed for tonights meal. I just might try planking for about 4 minutes per side, then browning over the direct coals. It ought to be interesting. :chef:

Seeeeya; Goodweed fo the North

I went to Wall Mart. No luck. I went to Home Depot and I think I would rather push a pencil into my ear before going back there. They where not very helpful. I went to Dick's Sporting Goods and camping emporium, nothing. All I wanted was 3 untreated planks of red cedar. I finally came home and jumped online and found them at Whole Foods. My mission to try a pork a roast has been delayed but hopefully only by a day.

If anybody knows of a place around Chicago where I can buy cedar or other planks (for cheap) for cooking I would appreciate it. I am on the north side and visit Evanston on a regular basis, if this helps.

Bryan

Not really about planking but I will throw this out anyway.

My younger brother, Tim, and myself pass ideas around a lot. (I told him about this forum but he is not online very often). He called last week and was telling (bragging to me) me that he has a new grill. Anyway he took the iron grates and heated them up a little and them turned off his grill and brushed the grate with oil that had liquid smoke in it. He claims it really made for some really good chicken because the smoky oil flavored the bird.

Has anyone ever done this, put oil and liquid smoke on a grill? I may try this sometime this weekend to see for myself. I also now wonder about using it on the plank as well.

Bryan

Finding planks

BKNOX: I'm so surprised that you couldn't find the planks at Home Depot. They keep them in the bbq section. If you ask somebody, they haven't clue, I told you that. You have to struggle through it yourself. Go to your Yellow pages and look up Barbecue shops, supplies, equipment and call around. You might try calling your local lumberyards and ask for cedar that has NOT been pressure treated. Planking is a big thing now and some lumberyards keep raw cedar and alderwood for grilling purposes. If all else fails, then go to the net although you may pay a lot more. They should be on sale now at most stores in the "cold" sections of the country.
I have never used liquid smoke on my planks, Just in the sauce itself. I would start out by mixing a very small amount (this stuff goes a long way) with the oil you use on the plank and see how you like it it. If you've never done planking before then I would suggest doing your meat or fish without it the first time just so you have something to compare it with. Good luck and please let us know how like it. :chef:

I am going to hold off on the liquid smoke until I try it the way it has been explained. Also I am afraid the liquid smoke will be forever in the plank, and if it sucked it would suck forever.

We went through all the grilling stuff at Home Depot with no luck. When I asked, you would have though I was speaking in foreign language. We then progressed to the lumber section hoping to have some cut but the kid was less than helpfull, I just walked away.

We are leaving in moments to run errands that include acquiring planks. I know they will have them at Whole Foods but will also be near a lumber yard that I am going to swing into and see if I can grab some there. Believe it or not there is a lumber yard downtown.

I will report back on my plank experience.

Bryan

Liquid smoke is a great product (IMO) when used in the right way. Liquid smoke is made by condensing real wood smoke. I would think it would almost be redundant to cook using smoke from wood and then also use liquid smoke. I could be wrong, but this is just my guess. Liquid some comes in very handy when you are cooking something that would benefit for a smoky flavor, but you have no way of introducing it other than adding the liquid version.

Liquid Smoke vs. Cedarwood

I have to agree that it is redundant to add liquid smoke to the wood plank. The purpose of the wood plank is to give the fish or meat the smoky taste of whichever type of wood you're using. If you add liquid smoke, you change taste of the wood. Brushing the liquid onto the grill itself might give you the wood smoke you're looking for but I would leave the wood alone. That's my take on it.

I like the concept of this . One question.. DO I BBQ the meat with direct or indirect heat ? I would imagine having it direct would cause a little fire

Winglover said:
I like the concept of this . One question.. DO I BBQ the meat with direct or indirect heat ? I would imagine having it direct would cause a little fire

That's if you want your meat well done :LOL:

sorry, i don't have the answer - just couldn't resist...

direct, charred edges on the board are ok.

Plank Spiked Pork Roast

I finally found some cedar planks at Manard's (local version of Home Depot). The planks are 15" x 5.5" x .75". They cost $4.99 for a set of two and I bought 4 planks total.

Anyway, I took one plank and my handy cleaver and made long spikes. I soaked the spikes and planks for several hours and then pushed 5 of the cedar spikes lengthwise throught the roast. The only seasoning I used was black pepper and sea salt that I rubbed all over it.

I oiled one side of a whole plank before placing the roast on it.
pork_1.gif

The roast cooked in the oven at 325 degrees F. for a little over 2 1/4 hours (internal temp 165 ish). The smell of the pork and cedar was really nice in our kitchen.
pork_2.gif

I let it sit for 8 or so minutes and removed the cedar spikes.

pork_3.gif

This proved to be a little bit of a task.

pork_4.gif

But we survived and cut the roast.

You could absolutely taste the cedar through out the entire roast and the aroma was distinct and good. We though it was really tasty. If I where to make a sauce or a glaze, which I did not, I think I would make a sweet apple glaze or sauce. Maybe next weekend.

Bryan

bnox; you are THE MAN! I'm going to try this technique with my next bbq'd turkey. And I'll be trying it with a pork roast as well. Thanks for posting your results. Now I just have to wait for my next pay-check... :mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I called my brother in Virginia and told him about the cedar spikes and he is excited to try it as well. He want to make the spikes smaller and grill chicken with cedar skewers.

He explained it to me as skewers that are thin but about an 1/2 inch wide saoked in bourbon and skewered inside a fillet of chicken. If that makes any sense. Last time he soaked anything in bourbon all he made was trouble. We will see.

Bryan

Great pictures and good looking food. Thanks for sharing!

Hey all! New guy to the site and had to weigh in with my 2 cents worth. I just "planked" for the first time Sunday...holy cow! Where has Plank Grilling been all my life?!?! I did about 3 lbs of Ahi and 3 lbs of Yellow Fin, all caught not too long ago by a buddy of mine. I split each type in half and tried 2 different marinades. One batch got Worcestershire, garlic, juice from half a lime and some salt & pepper. The other was Zesty Italian dressing, Grey Goose vodka, juice from half a lime, and some random seasonings. The plank got a light Macadamia Nut Oil rubbing. OH MY GOODNESS!! I actually had 2 people comment that it was the best fish they ever had. The Ahi, a bit fickle when it comes to drying out during BBQing, was so moist, yet flakey. The Yellow Fin was absolutely superb. Oh, did I happen to mention that I don't really like to eat fish? This experience has changed that for sure! Can't wait until my next go at it. Oh, any ideas how many sessions you can use a plank for? The packaging suggests one-time use, but I would also at $13 for 3 planks! It isn't charred too bad...not as bad as some of ribs in the past...

Back
Top Bottom