"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 07-08-2005, 02:59 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
Goodweed, That's what I was thinking, a simple salt and pepper rub for the pork. I am leaving in a short while to acquire cedar planks for some fish and the pork loin. I will report back on how it worked.

Bryan

Old 07-08-2005, 04:52 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie
thanks, htc and DQ! I'll do some looking around locally first...then on to my friend, the internet! When ya live "out in the sticks," you do lots of online ordering! What did we do before all the www.'s???!!!
Before we had the www.'s and the internet I actually had a life.

Old 07-08-2005, 05:13 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Stores like Williams Sonoma and Crate & Barrel carry these as well, although they may be a bit pricier. You don't have to worry if the wood is treated/untreated.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:43 AM   #24
Master Chef

Callie; Good luck with your planking experience. Mine was very good. Just remember to soak the planks before cooking on them.

bnox; I've got pork chops thawed for tonights meal. I just might try planking for about 4 minutes per side, then browning over the direct coals. It ought to be interesting.

Seeeeya; Goodweed fo the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 09:50 AM   #25
Senior Cook

I went to Wall Mart. No luck. I went to Home Depot and I think I would rather push a pencil into my ear before going back there. They where not very helpful. I went to Dick's Sporting Goods and camping emporium, nothing. All I wanted was 3 untreated planks of red cedar. I finally came home and jumped online and found them at Whole Foods. My mission to try a pork a roast has been delayed but hopefully only by a day.

If anybody knows of a place around Chicago where I can buy cedar or other planks (for cheap) for cooking I would appreciate it. I am on the north side and visit Evanston on a regular basis, if this helps.

Bryan
Old 07-09-2005, 10:15 AM   #26
Senior Cook

Not really about planking but I will throw this out anyway.

My younger brother, Tim, and myself pass ideas around a lot. (I told him about this forum but he is not online very often). He called last week and was telling (bragging to me) me that he has a new grill. Anyway he took the iron grates and heated them up a little and them turned off his grill and brushed the grate with oil that had liquid smoke in it. He claims it really made for some really good chicken because the smoky oil flavored the bird.

Has anyone ever done this, put oil and liquid smoke on a grill? I may try this sometime this weekend to see for myself. I also now wonder about using it on the plank as well.

Bryan
Old 07-09-2005, 10:42 AM   #27
Senior Cook

Finding planks

BKNOX: I'm so surprised that you couldn't find the planks at Home Depot. They keep them in the bbq section. If you ask somebody, they haven't clue, I told you that. You have to struggle through it yourself. Go to your Yellow pages and look up Barbecue shops, supplies, equipment and call around. You might try calling your local lumberyards and ask for cedar that has NOT been pressure treated. Planking is a big thing now and some lumberyards keep raw cedar and alderwood for grilling purposes. If all else fails, then go to the net although you may pay a lot more. They should be on sale now at most stores in the "cold" sections of the country.
I have never used liquid smoke on my planks, Just in the sauce itself. I would start out by mixing a very small amount (this stuff goes a long way) with the oil you use on the plank and see how you like it it. If you've never done planking before then I would suggest doing your meat or fish without it the first time just so you have something to compare it with. Good luck and please let us know how like it.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:56 AM   #28
Senior Cook

I am going to hold off on the liquid smoke until I try it the way it has been explained. Also I am afraid the liquid smoke will be forever in the plank, and if it sucked it would suck forever.

We went through all the grilling stuff at Home Depot with no luck. When I asked, you would have though I was speaking in foreign language. We then progressed to the lumber section hoping to have some cut but the kid was less than helpfull, I just walked away.

We are leaving in moments to run errands that include acquiring planks. I know they will have them at Whole Foods but will also be near a lumber yard that I am going to swing into and see if I can grab some there. Believe it or not there is a lumber yard downtown.

I will report back on my plank experience.

Bryan
Old 07-09-2005, 12:50 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Good Luck

Good luck, by the way, I love your signature phrase.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:12 PM   #30
Chief Eating Officer

Liquid smoke is a great product (IMO) when used in the right way. Liquid smoke is made by condensing real wood smoke. I would think it would almost be redundant to cook using smoke from wood and then also use liquid smoke. I could be wrong, but this is just my guess. Liquid some comes in very handy when you are cooking something that would benefit for a smoky flavor, but you have no way of introducing it other than adding the liquid version.