Charring chillis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4meandthem

Half Baked
I have a big batch of chili I need to make this weekend for a cookoff and my birthday wine tasting afterparty. I usually use torch for charring them them scrub the skins off with a scratch pad. I have way too many chilis to do this way this time. What works well for you to remove the entire skin? I can use the oven or grill or charcoal. I need a pretty foolproof way of removing the entire skin. Pablanos are peticularly tough skins and don't want any getting in my chili.

I could also us any reccommendations on menu planning. We are taking a limo from 11-5 to a bunch of wineries near us.(10 people) My chili will probabaly be warmng in a slow cooker the whole time. I need some other recipes to go with including another main dish that contains no onions to suit one of the couples.

The recipes should be able to hold the time we are gone or just be served when we get home.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

The oven broiler works well with well dried peppers. You have to keep turning them every couple of minutes until they're mostly blackened and you put them in the bag to steam. Works on the charcoal grill, too. Doesn't matter what direction the heat comes from, since you're going to keep turning them anyway.

I char the chilies on the grill until the skins are black all over them put them in a bowl an cover with plastic wrap. The steam generated loosens the skins so they can easily be removed.

In Santa Fe they roast fresh peppers in a rotating wire drum over high heat from propane burners. The heat of the cooking and the mechanical tossing of the rotating drums just knocks most of the skins off. I hope this description might help.

I sure wish I had a couple pounds of those roasted chili peppers right now. They were good!

After you char them put them in a paper bag and close it tight and let them sit and steam for awile. The skin comes right off. Just use a paper towel to scrape it off.

In Santa Fe they roast fresh peppers in a rotating wire drum over high heat from propane burners. The heat of the cooking and the mechanical tossing of the rotating drums just knocks most of the skins off. I hope this description might help.

I sure wish I had a couple pounds of those roasted chili peppers right now. They were good!
Oh gosh, another gadget to hunt for or ask the DH to make in his machine shop...

i like to wash the chilis, then rub them with a little oil before charring. the grill works well to blacken the skins, or you can just put them directly on the pot supports over a gas burner on a stovetop, turning every minute or so as they blacken.

then into a bag to cool and help the skins steam loose.
hth.

These are fresh chiis. Does that really work for dried chilis? How do you get the skins off dried ones?

No. I meant that the fresh peppers have to be well dried so the skin can char quickly.

Although for chili, I buy assorted dried peppers and powder them. The skins are so brittle that they also powder. There are some visible specks, but that adds to the visual appeal of the dish. I find this produces a better flavor than bottled chili powder. I should add that you have to have, as I do, a grocer with bins of several types of dried peppers.

No. I meant that the fresh peppers have to be well dried so the skin can char quickly.

Although for chili, I buy assorted dried peppers and powder them. The skins are so brittle that they also powder. There are some visible specks, but that adds to the visual appeal of the dish. I find this produces a better flavor than bottled chili powder. I should add that you have to have, as I do, a grocer with bins of several types of dried peppers.

absofreakinlutely! +1

i started grinding my own dried chilis (ancho, chipotle, thai dragon, cayenne, mulato, etc.) a few years ago to make chili powder for "chili".

it makes a huge difference. :chef:

Last edited:
I often keep fresh chili peppers in my refrigerator but there comes a point where they're not as fresh, and then I just set them out in a dry place and forget about them until they've dehydrated themselves. Then I grind them up for chili pepper sprinkles.

So I grilled the chilies instead of using the torch and it was way easier! The pablanos were a little easier to peel if they were not cooked until soft. They all definately cooked more on the grill than the torch.

Attachments

• IMG_1501.jpg
    IMG_1501.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 224

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom