Charts, Links and other Reference

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cooking video

this posting has been deleted as we do not allow advertising on DC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bravo! Bravo!

This "sticky" answered a half-dozen questions I didn't know I had!

Here's a chart I searched, after Alton Brown's show "The Big Chili"

Scoville Heat Unit Scale

Pepper Type -- Heat rating (in Scoville heat units)

Habanero 200,000-300,000
Red Amazon 75,000
Pequin 75,000
Chiltecepin 70,000 - 75,000
Tabasco 30,000 - 50,000
Cayenne 35,000
Arbol 25,000
Japone 25,000
Smoked Jalapeno (Chipotle) 10,000
Serrano 7,000 - 25,000
Puya 5,000
Guajillo 5,000
Jalapeno 3,500 - 4,500
Poblano 2,500 - 3,000
Pasilla 2,500
TAM Mild Jalapeno 1,000 - 1,500
Anaheim 1,000 - 1,400
New Mexican 1,000
Ancho 1,000
Bell & Pimento 0

Here's a link:

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/pepper/2002075348029538.html

-- and the following is cut/pasted from this link . . . (Fair use, and copyright stuff you know.)

Capsaicin is what puts the heat or pungency in chiles. It is a compound that is insoluble in water, tasteless and odorless. It is made of seven closely related alkaloid or capsaicinoids. Three of these components cause the “rapid bite” at the back of the palate and throat and two others cause the long, slow burn on the tongue. Capsaicin is produced and found in the placental partition (“white” cross wall and veins) of the pod. The seeds become pungent through contact with the placenta.

In 1912, Wilbur Scoville, a chemist under the employ of Parke Davis Pharmaceutical Company, developed a method to measure the heat level of chiles. The test is call the Scoville Organoleptic Test. In his original testing, Mr. Scoville blended various pure ground chiles with a sugar-water solution. A panel of testers then sipped the concoctions in increasingly diluted concentration, until they reached the point at which the solutions no longer burned the mouth. A number was then assigned to each variety of chile based on how much it needed to be diluted before heat was no longer tasted. This measurement of millions of drops of water-sugar solution is then translated into Scoville Heat Units (SHU) in multiples of 100. This technique is subjective and depends on the taster’s palate and it’s response to the pungent chemicals. The accuracy of this test is often criticized and modified versions have been developed.

The most accurate method for measuring pungency in chiles is a High performance liquid chromatography. In this procedure, chile pods are dried, then ground. Next, the chemicals responsible for the pungency are extracted, and the extract is injected into the HPLC device for analysis. This method is more costly than the Scoville test or the Taste test but much more accurate. This method measures the total heat present as well as the individual capsaicinoids present.

Last edited:
Great info Daphne..! May I just mention that capsaicin is THE thing of pepper spray used by the police and the military. So as we all probably know, watch out when chopping up those hot peppers..! :)

I could tell you all a story about a guy who thought he had teflon hands when it came to chopping hot peppers. I told him to wear gloves... but noooo...

To make a long story short, he came back from the restroom to the line. It wasn't about 5 minutes later he started doing a really neat jig. I LOL'd myself silly!

Ciao,

Back
Top Bottom