"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 03-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #11
Head Chef

For years we were told that one does not wash mushrooms or else. Or else seemed to be that the shrooms would act like sponges and one would wind up with a gosh awful mess.

Well, never believed that and always ran them under some water, or tossed in a bowl of water for a bit, and never seemed to find the predicted dire consequences.

And knew a lot of people who just did the same thing. We knew the shrooms were fine cleaned that way but there were always folks who would give the 'don't ever wash a mushroom' party line.

Will always be grateful to AB for freeing us shroom washers from a charge of unconscionable fungus molestation.

Would not use hot water, am not sure it would hurt but it would blanch them a bit I suppose. But if you try it and like it, go for it.

Have no problem with the simple cold water wash though.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:40 PM   #12
Master Chef

Completely agree with you AuntDot.

My grandparents washed their mushrooms, my parents washed their mushroom, & I've always washed my mushrooms.

No mamby-pamby little "mushroom brushes" or damp paper towels for me, thank you. Who has that kind of time?

Old 03-10-2008, 04:55 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

thanks for the replies and insights

will wash them under the tap.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:04 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooking_guy View Post
thanks for the replies,

can i use hot water or does it have to be cold running water. if one peels the top, the gills are still unclean, correct?

how does adding a bit of salt to the cleaning water help?

i guess boiling mushrooms will definitely remove some of the flavour. what about a quick rinse in a pot full of warm water?
When I was apprenticing I was taught to use either salt or flour in the water to help move the dirt off. I don't care for the idea of pasty water going down my pipes so I always use the salt..

I wouldn't use hot water because that could begin cooking the mushroom.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:08 PM   #15
Executive Chef

for most applications I rinse quickly, but if I'm using them in a salad or going to saute them and want them browned, then I will brush them ... I have a nice set of vegetable brushes ... hardware store ... paint aisle ... some soft some stiff ... couple bucks.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:32 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
oh my lord i'm going to get shot here...but...i never wash the mushrooms {ducks head}

it's a constant battle with the bf (who's an utterly amazing cook)...so we don't wash the mushrooms here, and we do over at his house, and neither complains either way.

yes, i saw the alton brown show about it too. but i'm all obstinate.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:50 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I either wipe with a dry paper towel or peel. Depends on the state of the mushie. Sometimes they look nicer when they have been peeled. Never used water but not because of any bias against the practice, just never seen the need. Now that I think about it, I don't know anyone that does wash mushrooms!
Old 03-10-2008, 10:24 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I don't mind the not washing mushrooms - I guess - I'd like to get forest floor stuff off of them though. What I don't understand is peeling a mushroom - that's a phrase I have NEVER heard before!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:31 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Don't get many mushrooms in the shops that are grown in the open here. Any damage is in the skin or a bit of dirt at the very base of the stalk. Peeling the top skin off the mushrooms is pretty common here, even though we know how many nutrients we lose but it makes them look really much more attractive.