"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 03-10-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cleaning mushroom

Hello,

I was wondering what is the best way to clean mushrooms considerin the fact that they always have a bit of soil sticking to the top and sometimes to the gills.

I bought a food brush but it seems to corase to use on the mushrooms, i tend to boil the mushrooms to clean the dirt off, but some one said that it remoevs quite a bit of the flavour.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:18 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Personally I would give them a quick rinse undera running tap, or you could peel the top - takes a while if you have lots of mushrooms.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Fill the sink with water and a bit of salt. Toss the mushrooms in and agitate quickly. Remove them just as quickly, before they have a chance to absorb the water.

You could also simply wipe them with a dish cloth.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I just wipe them off with a moist paper towel.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:33 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I put them in a collander and shake them around under a water spray. (Faucet or hand held) then I turn them out onto a couple of paper towwels and pat them dry.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
Master Chef

Alton Brown, of Food Network fame, once did a show on "kitchen myths", & one of the myths he abolished scientifically was the old wive's tale about never using water to clean mushrooms.

He exactly measured/weighed several groups of mushrooms & dry-brushed one group, soaked another in water, & rinsed another under running water. While yes, the soaked ones did absorb some liquid (albeit a very small amount), the ones rinsed under running water had absorbed such an unbelievably infinitesimal amount of liquid that it was laughable.

Rinse away!!!
Old 03-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

thanks for the replies,

can i use hot water or does it have to be cold running water. if one peels the top, the gills are still unclean, correct?

how does adding a bit of salt to the cleaning water help?

i guess boiling mushrooms will definitely remove some of the flavour. what about a quick rinse in a pot full of warm water?
Old 03-10-2008, 03:07 PM   #8
Master Chef

Cold running water. No peeling. Rinse entire mushroom, gills included. No salt. No boiling.

Cleaning mushrooms is really really really no more complicated than cleaning any other vegetable. Really. :)
Old 03-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I put them in a collander and shake them around under a water spray. (Faucet or hand held) then I turn them out onto a couple of paper towwels and pat them dry.
Ditto. I did the whole damp towel thing until I saw AB's experiment.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooking_guy View Post
thanks for the replies,

can i use hot water or does it have to be cold running water. if one peels the top, the gills are still unclean, correct?

how does adding a bit of salt to the cleaning water help?

i guess boiling mushrooms will definitely remove some of the flavour. what about a quick rinse in a pot full of warm water?
No need to use hot water. The salt just acts as an abrasive I feel sure. Warm water or cold water you still might have to rub with a paper towel and I wouldn't waste my time heating up water.

So...Just throw them in a sink full (or bowl full) of water and swish or just hose down with the sprayer in a colander - the easiest thing of all to do. Wipe off any obvious dirt with a wet paper towel. They make mushroom brushes but I've never used one. No need to peel - you are just peeling away part of the mushroom!!!

As in button mushrooms, the gills are probably not exposed. If they are exposed the dirt should rinse out the same way as above. As far as portobellos go, I usually scrape out the gills with a spoon as I do not like the brown liquid that seeps out of them after cooked.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote