"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 10-29-2005, 11:04 AM   #11
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to ArticKatt Send a message via MSN to ArticKatt Send a message via Yahoo to ArticKatt
The best ovens I have ever used are both. One had two small ovens top was conventionial and the bottom was convection. but the second oven I had that was both had a two sets of controls. YOu could turn off the convection fans and it became a conventional oven. I loved it. I do think it was really a small comercial oven. I got it used and it was fantastic. and stainless steal. Mind you I sold it when I moved and got almost as much as I paid for it. Now I am working with a bad electric oven that i hate and has not been cleaned in way to long and I am not really healthy enough to get in there and clean it myself.

Old 10-29-2005, 05:20 PM   #12
Executive Chef

So - If I wanted to use the convection feature on my oven to do Thanksgiving turkey, it would be okay? Just put it up on a rack as suggested above? Anyone do their turkey w/convection?

Old 10-31-2005, 07:58 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
So - If I wanted to use the convection feature on my oven to do Thanksgiving turkey, it would be okay? Just put it up on a rack as suggested above? Anyone do their turkey w/convection?
I believe that from what I've read, and with no actual experience using a convectionsal oven, so take this with a grain of salt, that the bird would come out very good, and with a faster cooking time. I believe that the secret to making this work is the same as with other cooking methods, use a meat thermometer. Then, you just can't go wrong. The only thing affected would be the condition of the skin. The white and dark meat should not be affected as their quality is a function of final temperature rather than cooking method.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:14 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Tx, GW - I think I'll try this maybe w/ a chicken before Turkey day - but it sure would be great if the bird got done a little faster!
Old 11-01-2005, 05:01 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Results of convection roasted chicken!

Oh - my - gawd - it was awesome!

Set the oven on convection at 325.

Massaged the chicken with butter, and rubbed with Penzey's Florida Seasoned Pepper.

Placed in a roasting pan with foil rings to hold it off the bottom of the pan, roasted for 1 hour. GBD! The meat is so tender, it's falling off the bone; and juicy, too; even the breast meat isn't dried out.

So - in answer to my own question - heck, yes, this is the way I"m going w/ the Thanksgiving turkey!
Old 11-05-2005, 12:02 PM   #16
Executive Chef

So - did I kill the thread?