"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 10-21-2005, 09:51 AM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Question Converting Oven/Stove Recipe to Crockpot

When converting a recipe that is usually made in the oven or on the stovetop to a crockpot, do you need to alter the recipe at all (aside from cooking time)? For instance, if I had a chili recipe that I have made on the stovetop, would I need to use less liquid if I decided to cook it in the crockpot instead?

I don't really have a real example as this was just something I was thinking about on the ride into work today.

Old 10-21-2005, 12:43 PM   #2
Hospitality Queen

I'd try making the chili with the same proportions you'd use as the stovetop. While most crockpot recipes do call for more liquid, keep in mind that they have their lids on, keeping all moisture locked in. When you're cooking chili on the stovetop, especially that which takes hours to simmer, you're loosing moisture through the steam. Of course I could be absolutely wrong, but, somehow it makes sense to me. Tell ya what - try it and give us your update. (and send some chili while you're at it)

Old 10-21-2005, 01:41 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Given the magnitude of stuff you can find on the internet, there probably is, somewhere, info on how to do this.

In the mean time, jkath's idea of experimentation is probably the best. With your sharp cooking mind, you should have no trouble figuring out what's needed.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:52 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

My guess, and probably what I would start with, is to use less liquid in the crockpot than on the stovetop for the very reasons Jkath mentioned.