Cooking Crepes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MommyDoThis

Assistant Cook
I want to cook crepes. Is there a quick and easy way to do it? If there is no quick and easy way, what is the best way to cook them so you come out with perfectly light brown crepes? :cool:

MommyDoThis

A piece of advise for crepes: MAke sure you have the time available, as it will take longer than you think for a first timer. Trust me, I made this recipe from Cooking Light several years ago called a spinach torte w/ crepes. Took me OVER AN HOUR to make the **** things alone, not counting the assembly and final prep of the torte. We didn't eat till after 8, and I started cooking about 5:30-6. Had no idea.
However, most recipes are easy enough, use a blender, experiment w/ your first couple, and make sure you have a relatively small non-stick pan, room in the kitchen, and no little helpers to distract you (given your post name)
Hope this helps.

B.

The slowest step in making crepes is letting the batter sit for an hour or so.

Making the batter takes five minutes including getting out the ingredients.

Non-stick pans are very helpful but I have made many in otherwise.

But once you start making them you should be able to make one in a minute or so.

You just need a very hot pan. And every two or three crepes I rub the bottom of the pan with a buttered paper towel (add more if it is non-stick)..

The ingredients are inexpensive, give them a test run.

After a few you will get the knack and will be a pro.

Good luck.

And, if worse comes to worst, they do sell crepes ready-made in the refrigerated section of most grocery stores. They come 10 to a package for around 5 bucks American, and all you need to do is heat them up or brown them in a non-stick pan of the appropriate diameter.

Caine said:
And, if worse comes to worst, they do sell crepes ready-made in the refrigerated section of most grocery stores. They come 10 to a package for around 5 bucks American, and all you need to do is heat them up or brown them in a non-stick pan of the appropriate diameter.

I've never tried store-bought crepes. Any good?

Aunt Dot, you said it very well. I'll set aside an hour or two, and make lots to freeze, some savoury, some sweet. I have two crepe pans, (used only for crepes) that are very well seasoned. I also use small non stick pans. If I'm really careful, I can have 4 pans on the go at once. Careful being the operative word. Have fun!!!!

Andy M. said:
I've never tried store-bought crepes. Any good?

They taste okay, and it's better than serving an important guest dilapidated crepes.

Of course, I normally use crepes to make blintzes, and they're so stuffed with good tasting stuff like strawberries and cream cheese that no one notices if the crepes themselves aren't truly spectacular.

Last edited:
I use a recipie from one of J. Pepin's cookbooks. It has a little rum in it which tastes great with just some powdered sugar or vanilla ice cream. The batter takes about 5 minutes to make. I don't let it sit at all, and they come out great.

Use a nonstick pan and a dab of butter for each crepe. When pouring the batter in, use a swirling motion with the pan and the ladle. Once the crepe browns slightly on one side, use your fingers to flip it and brown the other side. If it's your first time, make two batches of batter so you can practice.

I can make them in a SS pan, since I made so many of them. Once you get the hang of it, you should be able to make about 8-10 crepes in approx 20 minutes.

I'll try to post the recipie tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom