"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 06-06-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cooking Hamburgers in a Concession Stand

Hi, just new to this site and have two days to come up with a way to cook frozen 1/4 pound hamburgers with only a microwave and a toaster oven at my disposal. The previous concessionier was selling horrible tasting hamburgers cooked strictly by throwing them in the microwave and nukeing them! I have to come up with something I thought perhaps someone has had some experience that might help me. Thanks for your help! I'm clueless.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:23 PM   #2
Senior Cook

can you find room for an electric griddle? otherwise

I don't see how the burgers can be improved with just micro and toaster. I would hesitate to try and broil the burgers in the toaster oven due to the amount of grease that would accumulate. It sounds like you will be making quite a few burgers and that means lots of grease.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Broil them in the toaster oven, using the broiler pan that came with it. You can line the bottom pan with aluminium foil to make cleanup easier.Just make sure you empty the pan frequently. To paraphrase Smoky the Bear, "Only you can prevent toaster oven fires."

Oh, and you can season them with a mixture of 2 parts onion salt, 1 part garlic salt, and 1 part pepper to give them a little flavor.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
Sous Chef

get an electric griddle
Old 06-06-2007, 04:20 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Or electric skillet they are cheap at walmart of course the best would be a portable gas grill maybe you can scrounge one up somewhere or borrow one.Is there such a thing as an electric grill?Also wouldnt a toaster oven be too small for making burgers at a concession stand timewise and still not very good.
Make sure to thaw some of those burgers so they cook quickly in the case you get swamped with orders.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by songofpraise
Hi, just new to this site and have two days to come up with a way to cook frozen 1/4 pound hamburgers with only a microwave and a toaster oven at my disposal. The previous concessionier was selling horrible tasting hamburgers cooked strictly by throwing them in the microwave and nukeing them! I have to come up with something I thought perhaps someone has had some experience that might help me. Thanks for your help! I'm clueless.
sounds like you're in over your head! Where and for what are you going to be doing this? Are these burgers for sale? Is the place licensed? Do they have adequate insurance? Make sure you cannot be held personally liable if someone gets sick!
Old 06-06-2007, 04:54 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
the best would be a portable gas grill .
You'd have to be careful with that as cooking burgers on a grill will produce alot of smoke. There could be a hood in the concessions stand for exhausting the smoke, but if all they have is a microwave and toaster oven, I would doubt it.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #8
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
If there was ever a reason to buy one of those Foreman grills.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:04 PM   #9
Head Chef

cook them the night before and reheat?
Old 06-06-2007, 07:08 PM   #10
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
that can cause problems though if not cooled properly and/or reheated properly. Potential liability case...not to mention, they might just turn to rubber pucks after reheating.

Just my$.02