"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 03-13-2006, 05:19 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I would really honestly hate to say things about Cristiano's ex Silvia, l am simply stating a fact here... her kitchen is nothing short of a disaster...
Yes, her knives seem to have been of good qualities but not taken care of for ages, probably since Cristiano left the household some years ago... She owns neither proper cutting board, anything to measure ingredients, rolling pin (she claims she makes her own pasta and do baking... ), potato peeler or garlic crusher, her hand mixer hasn't been functioning for god knows how long, other things she has, she can't find where she has stashed or not in a usable condition... I really don't know how she feeds her children every day... okay, enough of that, by the way...

I disagree with the general notion about sharp knives being dangerous... I find the dull knives much, much more lethal than the sharp ones. While with a sharp knife that functions well, you wouldn't have to force anything and you are pretty much in control, with a dull knife that doesn't cut well you have to PUSH, instead of cut, and indeed sometimes you have to push hard, at times on something slippery, slimy or unyielding. This is a big risk of the knife slipping out of control and just end up in some unexpected destination, which could be a part of your anatomy. For this reason, keeping your knives sharp and well functional is essential to your safety.

Old 03-13-2006, 05:32 AM   #32
Master Chef

I agree that dull knives are much more dangerous than sharp. Once when I was young, Mom came close to cutting off a finger. Her doctor told her to sharpen her knives; the cut would have been easier to fix had the knife been sharper. As it was, her finger got mangled rather than sliced. Also, you're less likely to cut yourself with a sharp knife. A dull one sort of skids off the surface of some foods and creates accidents.

Old 03-14-2006, 03:39 AM   #33
Senior Cook

I said knives earlier, I take that back... Actually now that I think about it, what is missing in most people's kitchen around here seems to be counter space. We're all crammed in a tiny place trying to get everything to fit between the oven and the sink.
I have space... what my kitchen is missing the most is a DISHWASHER! I want to bang my head on the wall when I think of how much dishes I'll have to wash after any meal of the day. And it seems like when I cook I always need the one thing that I didn't bother to wash.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:24 AM   #34
Master Chef

I do have to confess that one friend has only about a foot or two of counter space (this same friend doesn't own a decent knife -- but get this, she loves to cook). She's into victoriana, and every square inch of space in her house has something on it. I don't have anything on my kitchen counters except what I need to cook the meal I'm working on. Hubby sets up a bar in one corner that is all but unusable. But no cutesy anything on my kitchen counters, I need it all. When I lived in very limited space (on the road in a travel trailer for three years), I only had a couple of feet of counter space, and you'd better believe there was nothing cluttering it!
Old 03-14-2006, 11:14 AM   #35
Sous Chef

I try not to cook in anyone's house except my ma's or my ma-in -law or the friends I made before I got married with friends as they know me well and won't be offended if I brought nearly all my kitchenware with me. Here, I cook at home and carry the food to be re-heated wherever I am going. Or I don't cook at all. OPKs(other people's kitchens) are just so OPKs I don't fit in no matter how big.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:37 AM   #36
Executive Chef

sometimes I am surprized by what I find...my first time cooking at my inlaws...a perfect 50s California kitchen...a full set of Magnalite cookware!!!wow, but not a knife worth a dime, or a usable herb or condiment!!! maybe I'll inherit the Magnalite!!??
Old 03-14-2006, 03:06 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
biev, that's totally my life. i live in an itty-bitty-kitchened 50's baltimore row home, no dishwasher, no counter space. it literally has the entire top of the cabinet unit molded as a single piece of metal: sink in the center, drainboard on either side, total maybe 6'. one side is obviously needed as the drainboard (no dishwasher and all), the other is permanently topped with this fantastic chopping board i got at ikea for $10. i generally use a smaller cutting board instead of directly using this one, or i'd be washing it all the time.

oh, and speaking of "opk" ingredients...the same aforementioned cooking class project where i had to convince someone that canola and extra virgin olive oil not the same...the girl's recipe called for proscuitto, and she said she had to argue with mom for 10 min in the store to not just buy regular bacon.

i *love* cooking, my kitchen, theirs, whatever. i just find that i reeeeeely need my gas stove, my herbs, and my pots to make it work out like it does at my kitchen.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:02 AM   #38
Master Chef

I like to have several small-ish cutting boards so I can just use and toss into a sink of soapy water for hubby to scrub (when we moved in together 25 years ago, we came to an agreement that the person who cooks doesn't have to wash dishes).

I'm about to head for Florida for a visit to my parents. I'll be staying with a freind who is quite a gourmet (gourmand? I can never remember the definitions). I will definitely cook at least one meal in each house. Mom, in particular, immediately said, "what are you cooking" when I started planning the trip! Mom was a great cook in her time, actually she was very much ahead of her time in the area of nutrition. But in recent years she doesn't cook so much. The friend we're actually staying with was a big one for haute cuisine, but as you get older so many of your freinds and family can't eat a lot of what you fix, so he, too, has given up on cooking great stuff. They obviously still like to eat it, because Claire coming to town means good food. Hubby and I decided to hit all the local gourmet places and bring food as hostess gifts.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:38 AM   #39
Master Chef

When I've cooked/catered in friends' kitchens, I always bring my own knives. And quite frequently my own pots, pans, & sometimes serving pieces as well.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:08 AM   #40
Master Chef

I don't have a lot of counter space, but I do most of my work sitting at the lunch counter. I used to have a cutting board that fit over one side of my sink, until it finally rotted and fell apart. It came with my sink from Sears, but I'm sure if you check around, you can find something similar. It really adds to your counter space.