Cooking / reducing alcohol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
Okay, so here's the dilema.....I want to add a raspberry liquior to chocolate. It can't be too watery and I need just the taste, not the alcohol. Can this be heated and reduced like you would a wine? How would it be done? Should I add sugar? Raspberries? Anyone know? Have you done this before?

The reason I need to get the alcohol "out" before is because the chocolate doesn't cook long enough for the alcohol to evaporate.

Simmer it in a sauce pan. Do not make it too hot or it may flame up. How much are you trying to reduce? Booze reduces pretty quick so keep an eye on it. You can easily reduce it more than half. If you add berries to it I would taste it before you add any sugar.

If you really NEED to get the alcohol out then don't

use alcohol to start with. All the alcohol never cooks out. I've never used raspberry extract before but I am sure it exists, I just don't know where to find it.

Cooking Method
Alcohol Remaining

Alcohol added to boiling liquid and removed from the heat

85%
Flamed

75%
Stirred in and baked or simmered for:
15 minutes

40%
30 minutes

35%
45 minutes

30%
1 hour

25%
1 1/2 hours

20%
2 hours

10%
2 1/2 hours

5%

use alcohol to start with. All the alcohol never cooks out. I've never used raspberry extract before but I am sure it exists, I just don't know where to find it.

A liquor and extract do not taste the same. The alcohol will cook out enough to reduce and thicken.

It does exist and it doesn't work for the recipe. I tried it and the chocolate seized and broke the bowl I was working with. Raspberry liquor is the only thing I have been able to find that might work.

A liquor and extract do not taste the same. The alcohol will cook out enough to reduce and thicken.
Thanks for the chart. Vanilla is 70% alcohol by volume and you can get a buzz if you drink it straight and are a total lightweight so we do use alcohol in cooking, sometimes without thinking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom