Cooking Term - "to French"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redgriller

Washing Up
I was watching the Game Show Network tonight, and a game called "Perfect 21" with Maury Povich had a question. It was true or false. The question was, the cooking "to French" means to cut into small strips.

I said false since I thought that was julienne. But they said it was true that "to French" means to cut into small strips.

Is this right? I thought Frenching meant to strip meat from a bone? I've searched the net, and with thousands of hits, I can't find the answer. Anyone have any ideas?

From French fries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :
The verb "to french", though not attested until after "French fried potatoes" had appeared[citation needed], can refer to "julienning" of vegetables as is acknowledged by some dictionaries,[9] while others only refer to trimming the meat off the shanks of chops.[10] In the UK, "Frenched" lamb chops (particularly for serving as a 'rack of lamb') have the majority of the fat removed together with a small piece of fatty meat from between the ends of the chop bones, leaving mainly only the meat forming the "eye" of the chop attached.

Ok ... can't talk about the best "Frenching" techniques ... :rolleyes:

Ever explore the frozen food section of your grocery store and seen something called "French cut green beans"?

Frenching, as it refers to cooking - not to my high school girlfriend, is both cutting vegetables (usually green beans or potatoes) or meat into thin strips and removing the meat from bones ... read this.

Ok ... can't talk about the best "Frenching" techniques ... :rolleyes:

Frenching, as it refers to cooking - not to my high school girlfriend, .....

To the first sentence, ... is this something you talked about with your highschool buddies? Could you explain this as it refers to your high school girlfriend? :LOL::LOL::LOL:
I'm seriously bored and need to hear this. I can't believe I asked.

OKay, just bluck! Bluck bluck bluck. with mouths?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: You're not alone, Bliss. I was giving my 5 year old, Fisher, a goodnight kiss when he suddenly blurted out "No Tongue." He had noticed French kissing on TV and a long discussion with his brothers followed. He just couldn't believe people actually did that and liked it!!!! Apparently when his big brother assured him lots of people do that and he'd like it later, too, Fisher is now suspicious of all of us!

My kids were watching a cartoon on the Disney channel, and they mentioned it. I dont remember when I was a kid, Magilla Gorilla or Popeye talking about such stuff :-p

Back
Top Bottom