Cooking terms for the layman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pacs, my Gramps would shread his cabbage in his food processer!!

basic cuts:
-battonet, brunoise, sm. dice, julienne

also, you may wanna read Escoffier. a plethora of info. he's 'father of modern cooking'. most of my schooling was based on him.

Somebody lose their marbles?

My beef with the beef started this morning in the food section of the San Diego Union Buffoon. They had a couple of ultra high-priced restaurants (read La Jolla) touting how wonderful it was. I didn't know where elso to go. Perhaps I should try "Venting". Sorry.

Hey, it's okay, no apologies necessary. I was just curious how we got to the beef thing. If it makes any difference to you I lived in SD for 13 years and never had a decent California steak in all that time. I buy nothing but midwestern beef now and it's expensive but sooooo much better.

And now, back to shredded cabbage. ;)

Well, I do have another topic related question.
The garlic that comes out of a garlic press, is that considered minced or crushed garlic? Or merely pressed garlic?

It's more of a paste. Too fine to be minced. It's also stronger because all the natural oils are exposed.

DQ - try Just Good Meat on S 84th in Omaha - they ship cryopak. Muy bueno!

Garlic out of a press would be the equivilent of very finely minced. Very similar to a paste, depending on the crusher. Don't you think???????

(wish we had spell check)

DQ - try Just Good Meat on S 84th in Omaha - they ship cryopak. Muy bueno!

Garlic out of a press would be the equivilent of very finely minced. Very similar to a paste, depending on the crusher. Don't you think???????

(wish we had spell check)

We do if you don't use the quick reply and use the full feature reply, but you have to download something (at least it asked me to). It's above the smilies.

So paste and finely minced are pretty close to being the same thing I take it. At least with garlic.

Since you are literally smashing the garlic you are extracting all the pungent oils the same as you would by mincing it then making a paste from the mince.

Whereas, minced garlic is cut.

I can't think of a situation where it would matter asthetically. But I would cut down on the garlic a bit if the recipe called for minced and you used garlic from a press. mmmm...maybe by 33%.

paste is similar to minced. i learned from my Chef, when you're too tired to cut more parsley or garlic, you've minced.

sprinkle cloves to be minced with kosher or coarse seasalt.

garlic presses are evil. lol

if you want a garlic consistancy that you get from a garlic press.

just roast some garlic and keep it on hand.

isnt htat roght Got Garlic.

Yes, roasted garlic is great and already a paste, but entirely different flavor.
I make a coleslaw dressing that calls for minced garlic and sometimes I use the garlic press, sometimes I mince it with a knife, but roasted garlic would really alter the taste. And probably be just as good in its own way (lol)

garlic presses are evil. lol

if you want a garlic consistancy that you get from a garlic press.

just roast some garlic and keep it on hand.

isnt htat roght Got Garlic.

I agree that garlic presses are evil :devilish: I have one somewhere, but I always hated cleaning it. I use my knife to smash and then mince garlic for just about everything except garlic bread - it needs to be a paste for that.

Keep on keepin' on, Pacanis :)

Back
Top Bottom