Cooking turkey sausage without ruining pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dstarr3

Assistant Cook
So, I like to eat a couple sausage patties for breakfast each morning. But I'm not a fan of the fat intake that implies for me, so I've tried moving to some turkey sausage links I've found. But, when I throw them in the pan, they ooze out tons of turkey goop that gets burnt on well before the turkey is done cooking and it takes me ten minutes to clean my pan every time.

Obviously, that's a terrible hassle for something I want to cook every day. So, is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? Is it a cooking temperature thing, or is it just the nature of cooking turkey in a pan and the reason why turkey sausage is pretty hard to find?

Thanks!

What kind of pan do you use?

For a low fat item like a turkey sausage, you could try adding a small amount of oil to the hot pan before adding the sausage. You should be cooking over medium heat so the outside doesn't burn by the time the interior is cooked.

You could also try a non-stick pan to ease the clean up.

Welcome to Dc.

You could try using ground turkey and seasoning it like sausage and making your own breakfast sausage.

There are many recipes here at DC for making your own sausage where you could get an idea of the seasonings to try.

What kind of pan do you use?

For a low fat item like a turkey sausage, you could try adding a small amount of oil to the hot pan before adding the sausage. You should be cooking over medium heat so the outside doesn't burn by the time the interior is cooked.

You could also try a non-stick pan to ease the clean up.

I'm using a ceramic pan, so food sticking is usually not an issue, unless it leaves behind the sticky mess that gets burnt on. The food then sticks to that mess.

Once the sausage is done cooking, while the pan is still hot, remove from burner and pour water into the pan. By the time you are done eating, the stuck on bits should be loosened from the pan making it very easy to clean.

Once the sausage is done cooking, while the pan is still hot, remove from burner and pour water into the pan. By the time you are done eating, the stuck on bits should be loosened from the pan making it very easy to clean.
Unless the instructions received with the pan indicate not to do that. I know that is not recommended for enameled pans (LeCreuset).

No experience with turkey sausage as they don't seem to exist on this side of the pond but I prefer my other sausages cooked under the grill/broiler, sitting on the grill pan rack. I also line the grill pan with foil as it does away with the scrubbing.

I'm not much for turkey but for sure, especially after that description, I won't be trying turkey sausage. Turkey goop???!
However, that being said, I would go with the water in the pan method and let the goop soak loose. You might even try heating the water and letting it cook off.

Actually, after reading all this, I'm considering lining my grill pan with foil and using that. I'm also never going to buy these turkey sausage links again and try making my own turkey sausage patties and see if that turns out any better.

Thanks, all!

With all the hype and over priced hoop laa about LeCreuset I'd think you'd darn well better be able to put hot water into that hot pan without loosing the warranty.

The OP never said she had LeCreuset anyway. I do it all the time in my "no name" inexpensive enameled cookware.

Back
Top Bottom