Cooking w/olive oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liquidsnake25

Assistant Cook
I'm new to cooking, and recently, I've seen several recipes that use extra-virgin olive oil(for example), and usually right after that is the phrase 'a turn of the pan' or '2 turns of the pan'. can anyone explain what that means?

Welcome to the site!

Take the bottle and pour the olive oil around the perimeter of the pan. If it says 2 turns around the pan then do it twice. Or you could estimate about 1 tablespoon per "turn around the pan". Sounds like the recipes you are looking at are from Rachel Ray. She likes to use terms like that.

Hi, and welcome to the site!

Just a note here about extra virgin olive oil; there's absolutely no need to use the EV for cooking; it's more expensive, and regular olive oil will do just fine. Save your good EVOO for dressing salads and as a 'drizzle' on finished foods! RR uses EVOO 'cause it's paid for by FoodTV!:rolleyes:

marmalady said:
Hi, and welcome to the site!

Just a note here about extra virgin olive oil; there's absolutely no need to use the EV for cooking; it's more expensive, and regular olive oil will do just fine. Save your good EVOO for dressing salads and as a 'drizzle' on finished foods! RR uses EVOO 'cause it's paid for by FoodTV!:rolleyes:

Ditto...

Plus "EVOO" has a lower smoke point than regular olive oil does, so you can't get it as hot as OO without it beginning to burn.

Yes! "Smoke point" -- the temp at which the oil starts to smoke and burn.

EVOO is a fairly low smoke point, as is butter. You can raise these by adding canola. Then you get the flavors of the EVOO or butter and the higher temps of the canola.

There should be a whole forum section on oils and cooking!

While you all are right about extra virgin vs. other olive and vegetable oils, if I'm going to use olive oil, I use only extra virgin. I like the fruitiness of the EVOO. If there is a situation where the heat is going to be intense, I use peanut or canola.

I buy large wuantities of EVOO at Costco for cheap and use that for most stuff (it'still pretty good). I keep a smaller bottle of better EVOO for use as a drizzle/flavor component.

Andy M. said:
While you all are right about extra virgin vs. other olive and vegetable oils, if I'm going to use olive oil, I use only extra virgin. I like the fruitiness of the EVOO. If there is a situation where the heat is going to be intense, I use peanut or canola.
I do the exact same thing Andy. Great minds think alike :chef:

Too bad you didn't think of us before, I could have been ther in 30 minutes and used you as an excuse to shop some more!

I use evoo almost exclusively in my cooking. If I want to deep fry using a 5qt pot of oil, then I would go with pure olive oil (or canola or peanut or corn) I don't use mixed veg oils anymore. I like an oil to have a presence and purpose in my food.

I also believe that not only is it the smoke point (some very good quality extra-virgin olive oils can have a smoke point as low as 93'C/200'F) but the chemical compounds that make up the 'taste' in extra-virgin olive oil are also destroyed by high heat (regular olive oil can go a little higher than ev-oo without its taste being neutered).

I tried to find the source on this, but I have forgotten whether I read it in a magazine/book/website.

I use EVOO for sauteing, Canola oil for pan frying (like chicken), and peanut oil for deep frying. When a recipe calls for sauteing in butter, I use the EVOO and add just 1-2 tbls butter. If I'm making a box mix, which I do sometimes :ermm: I use EVOO instead of butter.
And once in a while, I do use a little bacon grease. I know it isn't good for us, but pork fat really does rule.

It is possible that your grandaughter's recipe called for extra-light olive oil which has a taste being quite close to neutral. Could she have used regular olive oil by mistake perhaps?

I have seen a number of cake (and similar) recipes that call for olive oil to replace the butter as the fat content, but it is generally always extra-light OO.

It didn't call for olive oil at all - just oil, but it was one of her early attempts at cooking and she wanted to surprisee her mom. She did! Her mom couldn't eat them. I've seen a few baking recipes that called for olive oil - but not many.

licia said:
My grandaughter made brownies with olive oil and they were AWFUL!!!!!!!

I remember one Friday night when my youngest son and I made a batch of brownies with peanut oil (I was out of vegetable oil and I knew the flavor of EVOO wouldn't work). We were both avid Furgal Gourmet fans and the Frug said peanut oil was neutral and had no flavor - that's why we bought a small bottle to experiment with ... so why not use it instead of making a special trip to the store for vegetable oil?

We made them, took one bite, looked at each other, and raced to the trash can to spit it out.

I use EVOO for the majority of my cooking - if I don't want the olive flavor I use plain old regular Olive Oil. I use peanut oil only for asian stir-fry, and vegetable oils for baking.

licia said:
It didn't call for olive oil at all - just oil, but it was one of her early attempts at cooking and she wanted to surprisee her mom. She did! Her mom couldn't eat them. I've seen a few baking recipes that called for olive oil - but not many.

Ahhh that would be the problem then :P.

Price almost doubled this week! Last week we paid $ 8.19 for a gallon..this week it was $ 15.09.....does it think it's gasoline? Is it the same in your part of the country?

Back
Top Bottom