Cooking with SS...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eatsOats

Senior Cook
I used my new all-clad frying pan for the first time last night. I fried up some steelhead fillets (salt & peppered only) in EVOO. I have an electric range, and the heat goes from low-1-9-high. I heated the pan on the 5 setting, added enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan, let the oil heat for a min or two, and then added my fish. The fillets didn't stick terribly, but they did leave stuff stuck to the bottom when the were moved/flipped, and they didn't release as easy as I had expected. What am I doing wrong? It didn't seem too hot. If I was using my non-stick pan, I would have used a heat setting of 7 or so.

Not sure, but I think you should have done two things. 1. Add more EVOO or a pat of butter. 2. Higher heat initially, then turn down.

There really is a trick to knowing when to flip something. I think the extra fat would help though.

I would prefer to not use butter for nutritional reasons, is there any problem with only using EVOO?
So higher heat at first, then turn it down. I realize you have no experience with my range, but judging from the numbers I gave, what would your best guess be for the heat setting(s) to use?

Also, should I avoid moving something until it is time to flip it? Because periodically I would take the pan off the burner and shake it to make sure the fish wasn't sticking real bad. Finally, what's a good rule of thumb for how much oil to use?

Oil alone will work fine.

The trick is to have a hot pan with hot fat in it before you add the fish. Place the fish into the pan and don't touch it for several minutes. No shaking, prodding or poking.

When the fish is placed into the pan it will stick. As it cooks, it will unstick itself and you'll be able to flip it easily.

Same rules for side two.

There is defintely a trick to using SS. You have to let the pan come to temperature completely dry. Only add the oil when the pan is hot. Then, when first placing the food in the hot oil, immediately move it so that it creates a thin film of oil between the pan surface and the food.

Of course, those bits that were left in the pan are called by the French, fond. It is flavorful and often used to make gravies and sauces after deglazing with water, or some combination of watery liquids such as broth, stock, or wine.

So, if you want stick-free performance, preheat the pan before adding oil. If you want to use the fond, then add the oil while the pan is cold.

You can also dry-fry in SS, but the food really sticks then. This method is good for searing large chunks of beef and produces lots of flavorful bits from which to make gravies and sauces.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Andy M. said:
...When the fish is placed into the pan it will stick. As it cooks, it will unstick itself and you'll be able to flip it easily.
ah that clears things up! Thanks, brother.

Remember, I'm no expert!

Good things:
  • Did the oil get all funny surfaced right before you put fish in?
  • Did it sound like PSSH! when you laid the filets in the pan?
  • Were you able to resist the temptation to fiddle with them after they were in the pan?
  • Did it take two or three minutes (maybe four for thick ones) for the filets to become nicely browned on the bottom and cooked about two-thirds of the way up the sides?
  • Do you have blisters on your tongue from tasting the fish too soon?
Bad things:
  • When you laid the filet in the pan were there screams? Did any neighbors call 911?
  • Were you less than satisfied without knowing how to improve next time.

Last edited:
Goodweed: thanks for the advice. I'll heat the pan first, then add the oil after the pan is up to temp. About how long should the food go in after the oil is heated?

skilletlicker said:
Remember, I'm no expert!
Good things:
  • Did the oil get all funny surfaced right before you put fish in?
    yes, but I may have waited too long before adding the fish.
  • Did it sound like PSSH! when you laid the filets in the pan?
    yes
  • Were you able to resist the temptation to fiddle with them after they were in the pan?
    no! Fortunately you guys have set me straight.
  • Did it take two or three minutes (maybe four for thick ones) for the filets to become nicely browned on the bottom and cooked about two-thirds of the way up the sides?
    some of the thinner pieces I took out before they had a chance to brown nicely, because I was scared of overcooking them WAY too much. The thicker pieces were excellent, however. I think in the future I will choose crunchy browning over internal temp for the the thinner pieces.
    fortunately, no.:-p

eatsOats said:
Goodweed: thanks for the advice. I'll heat the pan first, then add the oil after the pan is up to temp. About how long should the food go in after the oil is heated?
Not to answer for Goodweed but, in my opinion, put the fish in when the oil starts to look funny surfaced. Watch carefully and you'll know exactly what that means.

Sorry about not answering sooner. I had to dash out for a bit. I only suggested butter for flavor, no other reason. Oil is fine.

You have got the perfect advice from these three fine gentlemen, so I have nothing further to add.

skilletlicker, you made me ROFL with the burnt tongue and the other "bad things". Thanks!

There is one area where GW and I disagree. That's about when you should add the oil to the pan. GW says to add the oil after the pan reaches temperature. Then you wait for the oil to get hot before you add the food.

I say you can add the oil to a cold pan and heat them to temperature together. I have performed tests in my kitchen that prove to me that there is no difference. The food doesn't know what temperature the pan was when the oil was added.

Bottom line, both the pan and the oil must be hot before the food is added.

You decide which version of the truth you will follow.

GW, your turn.

Alix: thanks for the help.

Andy: the "care" pamphlet that came with my fry pan said to add the oil to the cold pan, so that's what I did when I cooked the fish. I agree with you, it doesn't seem like it should matter when the oil is added.

GW: I just fried some chicken tenders for lunch and they came out great! Wonderful browning and perfectly tender and juicy. I added the oil in after the pan was hot and it worked out nicely!

the Hot Pan/cold oil legend is mainly for raw cast iron or carbon steel or polished untreated aluminum....to expand the pores and seal with the cold oil. On those metals the system works. No such need with enameled iron or steel or anodized aluminum or silver stone or stainless.

My solution....don't use EVOO to fry in....try peanut oil.
Then do the heat the pan add the oil routine. Also I would use more oil than "just to coat the bottom" I'm not talking "deep fry" mind you...say 1/4 in.

The best thing that I have learned is in the breading routine before cooking. I tried it and it made a huge difference. After you have breaded whatever it is, you have to give it some drying time. Maybe five minutes...not long.
I cooked catfish nuggets not long ago and they came out very good. Another thing I have learned about frying foods "don't crowd the pan". I never know if my skillets are going to stick or not so I spray them with cooking spray while they are cold and add the oil (usually vegetable) room temp. I heat my oil on medium which for you is probably temp setting 5.
On an electric stove, you can have one burner on medium and another on high 7-8. Although the oil may appear to be hot enough to cook, the skillet may not actually be as hot. It's best to set aside about 10 minutes to heat the oil so the skillet is also hot. If you put food in hot oil and a cold skillet, you get SOG. YUK!
When your skillet and oil are heated (and I would recommend getting a thermometer), place your skillet on the high burner for about 2 minutes. Usually, I fry one piece before I make a batch and I place that piece in the center of the pan. I flip it when I see light brown around the edges.

Your method sounds fine- someone suggested you shake the pan a little immediately after you put your fish into the hot oil. I have to second that suggestion. I add cold oil to hot pans, and cold oil to old pans and heat them up together, and it doesn't seeme to make much difference most of the time, but one thing i always do is shake the pan. As was stated above, it allows some oil to get between the surface of the meat/fish and prevent sticking. After that, just leave it alone. Only the initial shaking is necesary.

i'll agree with andym on the oil question. although i tend to heat up pans first, i've never noticed any difference one way or the other.

i'll second gw on the shaking. actually, if it's something that i think may stick, i'm shaking the pan as i place whatever it is in the pan, and continue for at least 1/2 minute or 1 minute, until the outter part has been seared.

finally, i'm going to disagree with stirblue. well, i agree that the breading should be dry, but that's why i'm going to say to get things in the pan immediately. in my experience, a dusting of flour will become moist in a short time, and can lead to sticking. if you need to do a lot of breading and have them waiting around for a while, give them a very generous coating, and then knock off the extra just before placing in the pan.
icon12.gif

Andy M. said:
There is one area where GW and I disagree. That's about when you should add the oil to the pan. GW says to add the oil after the pan reaches temperature. Then you wait for the oil to get hot before you add the food.

I say you can add the oil to a cold pan and heat them to temperature together. I have performed tests in my kitchen that prove to me that there is no difference. The food doesn't know what temperature the pan was when the oil was added.

Bottom line, both the pan and the oil must be hot before the food is added.

You decide which version of the truth you will follow.

GW, your turn.

Andy; I won't disagree. Maybe it's the pan quality that is making the difference. I'm using inexpensive SS, not the good stuff. But with my pans, again through experimentation, I get better results by adding the fat after the pan is hot. With my cast-iron, it makes no difference. So it could be that with a higher quality of SS pan, it would make no difference.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I agree with skilletlicker. and Andy..and a good rule add 2 tablespoons of EVOO.

Back
Top Bottom