Cooling Foods to Refrigerate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
With all the recent discussion of food poisoning and leaving foods out all night by mistake, I would like to see some discussion of how you deal with this problem.

I cook to generate leftovers. I like to serve food hot. Like tonight, I made Kadesma's tomato and cheese casserole. When dinner was over, the casserole dish was still quite warm. While I tidy up the kitchen after dinner, I will draw a few inches of cold water in the sink and set the casserole dish in it. After a few minutes, I will check the temperature of the water. If the water is warm to the touch, I will drain the water and draw fresh cold water for the casserole to set in. If the water is still cool, I do not bother to change the water. Once I leave the kitchen after supper, I generally do not return to the kitchen until the next morning, so it is imperative that I leave no tasks to complete in the kitchen, such as dealing with a cooling casserole dish, which can be forgotten:wacko: . I make sure all leftovers are in the frig before I leave the kitchen every evening. Setting the casserole dish in cold water really cools the dish down enough that by the time I put the leftovers in the frig, the food is much cooler. Some casseroles lend themselves to stirring, some don't. If I am cooling down a soup, I will stir the soup to distribute/even out the temperature.

I just cover the item and put it in the refrigerator while it's still pretty warm. If it's really hot, I allow it to cool somewhat first. My refrigerator is able to handle it and I've never had a problem with the heat affecting other foods, not even those in the freezer (which stays at or very close to zero).

Better safe than sorry.

If I leave any food out overnight by accident, I throw it out (things that should be refrigerated I mean). As for leftovers, I usually let them cool down a bit and then store them in tupperware and then refrigerate or freeze.

I let my foods cool down (I'm sure your cold water bath method is fine but don't know for sure). They still might be warm when I put them in the refrigerator so I cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and poke about 5 or so holes depending on how large a surface area there is. This allows the heat to escape and not stay trapped and cool too slowly (which is where nasty stuff grows). That's the way I've always done mine ever since my restaurant days.

If I put things in containers with lids I just set the lids on them slightly askew to let the heat escape then cover in the morning.

I do the same as Kitchenelf does. If it is quite a lot to cool down like soups or other large quantities, I break whatever up into smaller batches and cool in ice water in the sink before putting into the fridge or freezer.

Ideally for food safety, and what pros do is an ice water bath around smaller containers before refridgeration. I have done that for certain foods at home and it works very well. Assuming you have an icemaker, it is a simple operation.

I think a good thing to remember is 2 hours from cooker to chiller. Once your food is cooked, and you have eaten what you want of it, cool leftovers quickly and refrigerate. Two hours is the maximum also, that food should be keep in a reheating situation such as bain maries, at the correct temperature.

If you have large pots of soup/casseroles try transferring to large ( and long) shallow dishs and trays. Stir often to dissipate the heat.
Stirring a pan of food over iced water is another good idea, but it doesn't mean leaving it there all night.:)

In my kitchen we have two large walkin chillers, so having food still slightly warm go in there is not going to drop the temp at all. The temperature in the chillers is always at 2 degrees, and it is wise to keep the household one at between 2 and 4 degrees.

There are various methods of quick chilling. Whichever you choose, you still have only 2 hours to get the food at or below 40 degrees. Don't cover anything tightly as that only traps heat. You have to vent an edge or leave it uncovered. Poking holes is inadequate unless you poke lots of holes. Condensation will eventually close up the holes.

An instant read thermometer doesn't cost more than 10 or 12 dollars and is the wisest, safest investment, right up there with a home fire extinguisher.

Professionally, if something cannot be stirred with an ice paddle or set into an ice bath, we break it down to smaller containers or pans.

FryBoy said:
I just cover the item and put it in the refrigerator while it's still pretty warm. If it's really hot, I allow it to cool somewhat first. My refrigerator is able to handle it and I've never had a problem with the heat affecting other foods, not even those in the freezer (which stays at or very close to zero).

Better safe than sorry.

You're better off putting it directly into the fridge...it's cooler in there than it is on the counter; and you are wasting precious time leaving something on the counter.

I disagree, at least in some situations. I would not move a pot of hot soup or stew directly from boiling on the stove or in the oven to the refrigerator.

FryBoy said:
I disagree, at least in some situations. I would not move a pot of hot soup or stew directly from boiling on the stove or in the oven to the refrigerator.

I really don't think that's what she meant - from boiling to fridge. I think she meant turning off when done - eating - and while cleaning up.....

VeraBlue - I guess when I said "holes" I didn't clarify. When I make holes in plastic wrap or aluminum foil I tend to tear it into a larger hole by twisting the knife a bit. :chef:

I don't cool foods on the counter before refrigeration other than for the time it takes to eat dinner if we're talking about leftovers.

For large batches of soup or tomato sauce or other foods made solely for freezing, I portion to meal-sized containers and refrigerate fairly quickly after cooking is done.

I make big batches of beef stew often enough. To cool rapidly, I transfer it from the heavy-bottomed cooking vessel into a very large SS bowl. Then either I plunge a frozen bottled water bottle (kept for this purpose) into it, or fill up a ziplock bag with ice cubes and immerse this in the stew. Works everytime.

Chopstix - I forgot about the water bottle trick!!!!! That's really key too - cooling it from the inside out - thanks for reminding me!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Oh dear. This will be an unpopular comment but since everybody's generally so nice here, I'll be brave and proceed:

As you'll see on the left, I live in Athens, Greece now, but I originally hail from New York. When I first came here, many years ago, I brought with me all my American ideas of food safety and handling, any number of which I've had to revise because they've simply proven not to be true in practice.

The rushing of previously-hot food into the fridge is a prime example. When I first came and saw my future hubby's mother leave food in the (cool) oven from midday dinner until late the same evening, or from evening overnight until morning -- I just about dropped over! Once married my hubby tried the same and we argued fiercely about it. Until I phoned my dad who's a chemist and a generally level-headed guy.

In short, he essentially agreed with my new Greek family, saying that leaving food for a matter of hours in a small, enclosed space was not likely to be harmful. He based his opinion on something very scientific I've long since forgotten.

However! Since then, increasingly, I've become much more casual about this -- you know, when in Rome. And I must report that our immediate and extended families have never, to the best of my knowledge, had food poisoning or any such ailments.

This may horrify any number of you (a cousin who came to visit remembers two things in particular: how long we left our food out after dinner, and that I actually hang clothes outside to dry. I won't bother to clarify how I feel about this!) but please bear it in mind. I would propose that you will neither kill yourselves nor the members of your family if you leave the stew on the counter to cool ...

Last edited:
FryBoy said:

You should cool it first, but not by leaving it on the counter. First, transfer it to a cool vehicle, then either set it in an ice bath or use an ice paddle.

An ice paddle resembles a large plastic bottle that is filled with water and stored in the freezer, usually in a plastic bag. When you have a soup or sauce that is going to be stored, you remove the paddle from the bag and place it into the soup. You introduce ice without diluting. Any one litre soda or water botte will work. Don't fill it completely with water, since it will expand when it freezes.

kitchenelf said:
I really don't think that's what she meant - from boiling to fridge. I think she meant turning off when done - eating - and while cleaning up.....

VeraBlue - I guess when I said "holes" I didn't clarify. When I make holes in plastic wrap or aluminum foil I tend to tear it into a larger hole by twisting the knife a bit. :chef:

That would certainly work. You will want as much hot air to escape as possible.

Ayrton said:
Oh dear. This will be an unpopular comment but since everybody's generally so nice here, I'll be brave and proceed:

As you'll see on the left, I live in Athens, Greece now, but I originally hail from New York. When I first came here, many years ago, I brought with me all my American ideas of food safety and handling, any number of which I've had to revise because they've simply proven not to be true in practice.

The rushing of previously-hot food into the fridge is a prime example. When I first came and saw my future hubby's mother leave food in the (cool) oven from midday dinner until late the same evening, or from evening overnight until morning -- I just about dropped over! Once married my hubby tried the same and we argued fiercely about it. Until I phoned my dad who's a chemist and a generally level-headed guy.

In short, he essentially agreed with my new Greek family, saying that leaving food for a matter of hours in a small, enclosed space was not likely to be harmful. He based his opinion on something very scientific I've long since forgotten.

However! Since then, increasingly, I've become much more casual about this -- you know, when in Rome. And I must report that our immediate and extended families have never, to the best of my knowledge, had food poisoning or any such ailments.

This may horrify any number of you (a cousin who came to visit remembers two things in particular: how long we left our food out after dinner, and that I actually hang clothes outside to dry. I won't bother to clarify how I feel about this!) but please bear it in mind. I would propose that you will neither kill yourselves nor the members of your family if you leave the stew on the counter to cool ...

Hi Ayrton
Rather than argue the finer points of food safety and sanitation, I'm just going to say this...I love the way my laundry smells when I opt to hang it out rather than use the clothes dryer:ROFLMAO:

VeraBlue said:
Hi Ayrton
Rather than argue the finer points of food safety and sanitation, I'm just going to say this...I love the way my laundry smells when I opt to hang it out rather than use the clothes dryer:ROFLMAO:

:LOL: I can't help but smile, VeraBlue. That was the most diplomatic and sweet way of saying "jeez, don't wanna eat at YOUR house!" I could imagine!

(Nothing like sheets dried out in fresh air, is there?)

Back
Top Bottom