Corn on the Cob | microwave miracle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
I'm sure this has been posted here before but with Corn season in full swing I thought it was worth reposting. Here's a really quick and easy way to cook and perfectly shuck corn - no silk on your ears!

Microwave your ear for between 3 and 4 minutes (depending on your oven), then slice off the stalk end and pull the entire shuck, leaves, silk and all right off the top. Perfectly clean corn!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U10MkdbzS54

:chef:

I'm gonna give that a try next time I go to the farmers market and buy my one ear of corn.

Those poor farmers hate to see me coming! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Someone I know was just talking about this trick a couple nights ago. Haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Just saw this on Facebook. They nuked for 4 minutes. I have to say ever 3 minutes seems like a long time, so I'm looking forward to hearing how it works from those of yu who try it ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I've used this method for a while and it is great.

It is cooked, but I see no problem putting it on a nice hot grill for some char.

The method works well.

But I still prefer to shuck and steam or boil fresh corn.

Call me old fashioned or stubborn but it's the way I prefer and any silk left after shucking comes off easily. Any silk on the ear should be seen as natures dental floss. ;)

For me the most important aspect is that the corn be fresh picked so that it's consumed before the sugars degrade into starch. :yum:

I set a 12 hour limit from harvest to pot but you have to trust your vendor. So far the road side stands around here haven't disappointed me in there honesty. :)

This is one of the things that I learned very early on in my culinary career, that when I see, I can't believe everyone doesn't know about.

That said, you will never do shuck corn again with frustration, it's an awesome way to shuck an ear.

Back
Top Bottom