"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 03-25-2007, 09:29 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

I never rinse, but again that is just personal preference. I have tried rinsing and have not noticed any difference. Neither did the people I was feeding.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:46 AM   #12
Sous Chef

hmm, I sure can... as you say, personal preference, I'm guessing.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Isn't brining awesome!! I do it all the time for pork chops and chicken breasts. What a difference! No more dried out meat!

For pork chops and pieces of chicken I brine for 1 to 2 hours (usually closer to 1 hour). I usually only use a quart of H20 for small pieces of meat. To the quart I add 1/4 cup kosher salt and 2 tablespoons sugar - brown or white. Sometimes I add seasonings to the brine but more often I do not as I like to add seasonings or rubs before I bake or grill the meat.

BTW, I rinse and pat dry the meat after brining.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:34 AM   #14
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Yep. Better to start with the basics first.

I actually omit the sugar from my brine. I do not find it adds anything that I enjoy. There are others who agree with me and also others who would not dream of making a brine without some sort of sugar. That is the great thing about cooking. We can all do what we enjoy and there is no right or wrong answer.

Now that you have discovered brining you will use this technique a lot I am sure. Those that love it really love it!
now that you metioned sugar i actually think that i will omit it in the future as well. i don't like sugar much on my food and i could just get a taste of it on my pork chops making it a bit hammy. i only included it cos recipe said it would balance the salt and bring out the savory part of the meat instead of just the saltiness. nest time i would half the sugar and if i still don't like it omit it altogether.

i would be brining chicken breasts today. my brine would be 1 Tbsp of table salt ( don't have kosher) to a liter of water. i work this out roughly using the 1/2 cup salt to 1 gallon water. i plan to brine for 2 hours. hope this turn out nice and less salty than my pork. wish me luck
Old 03-25-2007, 10:36 AM   #15
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candocook
Did you rinse before cooking?
I am not a fan of brining except for shrimp--30 minutes for previously frozen shrimp really makes them succulent and "fresh".

yes rinse and pat dry
Old 03-25-2007, 11:10 AM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:43 PM   #17
Master Chef

In my opinion there is a definite answer to this question.

You brined the chops for far too long. I looked up a number of recipes, including this one, by Alton Brown which is foolproof and almost all of them called for brining pork chops for 2 hours. I found a few 4 hours and one 6 hours but the standard seems to be 2 hours.

Cooks Illustrated (? I am pretty sure) ran some experiments and determined that using less salt renders poor results. They actually tell you to use twice as much salt and brine for half as much time, if a "quick" brine is necessary.

I suggest you leave the salt amount alone, half the sugar (IMO it's really a detectable flavor enhancer) and brine for 2 hours.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:58 PM   #18
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
In my opinion there is a definite answer to this question.

You brined the chops for far too long. I looked up a number of recipes, including this one, by Alton Brown which is foolproof and almost all of them called for brining pork chops for 2 hours. I found a few 4 hours and one 6 hours but the standard seems to be 2 hours.

Cooks Illustrated (? I am pretty sure) ran some experiments and determined that using less salt renders poor results. They actually tell you to use twice as much salt and brine for half as much time, if a "quick" brine is necessary.

I suggest you leave the salt amount alone, half the sugar (IMO it's really a detectable flavor enhancer) and brine for 2 hours.
i would have to agree with you on the less salt renders poor results!. read something similar somewhere but couldn't be sure but i just finished my experiment with my chicken breasts last night by halving my salt and brined for 2 hours, no difference. from now on i will stick to the 1 cup to 1 gallon rule or more and adjust the time instead.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:28 PM   #19
Master Chef

I do not know why whould anybody brine pork chops. Pork is such a tender meat. All it needs proper time for cooking.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:44 PM   #20
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
I do not know why whould anybody brine pork chops. Pork is such a tender meat. All it needs proper time for cooking.

not the pork chops i have. i know it's also partly cos i overcook them as dh won't eat them otherwise but when i brined them i can over cook them so it looks right for dh but still remains moist and juicy for me. i used to dislike making pork chops but now i'm actually enjoying it

and there is a big difference between brined and unbrined pork chops whether it's overcooked or not.