Cream butter/sugar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacqui

Assistant Cook
can someone help me please... what does it mean when a recipe tells me to crean butter and sugar together... me not very good cook.

Welcome to DC.

It just means to mix the butter and sugar together until they're fully blended, and there are no visible butter lumps or sugar crystals, it's all smooth. Beat the heck out of them. Room temperature butter works better than cold butter. You can blend the sugar and butter by hand, using a fork or a whisk, but it's easier with an electric hand mixer or stand mixer.

Last edited:
It also helps to think of someone you are really mad at when you do it. Great therapy with a good cake at the end of it.
Only joking...............but I've made some pretty good cakes using this method. I'll stop now, the hole I'm digging here is getting bigger..............

Room temp butter and sugar. Electric mixer at highest speed is so much easier than manual. the key is to whip it really well. This step is the foundation for a good result.

Looks like you got your answer, but I wanted to welcome you to DC. Enjoy!:)

I used to cream butter with a wooden spoon. I found that easier to get that light fluffiness than using a whisk.
But the KA is a no brainer now.

Welcome to DC. One of the things we love to do is help new members and even old ones lke me. I have been on this earth since dirt was invented.

The following site may just interest you along with other new cooks. And if you can't find what you want to know there, make sure you come back here since we love helping newbies. You are going to have a lot of laughs here.

Glossary of Cooking Terms

:angel:

Welcome to DC :) A similar question was in the Cooks Illustrated magazine I just received. You want to mix the butter and sugar until the it's light yellow and fluffy. This adds a lot of air to the batter, which expands during baking to help the cake rise.

Back
Top Bottom