Cream of Tartar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Filus59602

Senior Cook
Have you ever wondered; I know I have; where cream of tartar comes from. After all where would our meringues be without it.

Well here goes: Wine is aged in a cask and when the wine has matured and is poured out; what is left round the sides of the cask is Cream of Tartar. They just scrape if off, clean it up and Walla! there you have it.

I thought this was interesting and hope you do too!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was the crystalized precipitate in the casks in particular. Do they scrape out the other stuff as well?

Cream of tartar ( potassium bitartrate) is the crystallization in wine casks but it goes through a process of purification before it is the white acidic powder we see in the stores.

Other uses for Cream of Tarter of the non-food solution:

The third way to clean a burned pan is to add 2 to 3 Tbsp cream of tartar to enough water to cover the burned surface. Bring to a boil and simmer until the burned food begins to flake off from the pan.

Brighten Copper

Freshen up the copper with a paste made from cream of tartar and enough lemon juice to moisten. Rub the mixture on the copper, and let stand for five minutes. Wash in warm water and dry.

Back
Top Bottom