Custard in the oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crono760

Cook
my general recipe is: 2 egg yolks thicken 3/4 cup of liquid, and I usually put 2Tbsp of sugar per 3/4 cup milk. But I just can't get my technique right.

I cook them in ramekins in a double boiler in the oven set to 325F. The ramekins are small (about 1/4 cup each).

My timing is always off, so the custards either aren't fully set, or are completely curdled like scrambled eggs. Not to mention that the top dries out even if they aren't set fully.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

I suggest you use heavy cream. Heat the cream til it's close to boiling, then temper the eggs with it. Mix it all together & bake in a bain marie. Pull them out when they look a little "jiggly" still- they keep cooking after you remove them from the oven and they'll set up nicely once they're cool.

IMO all custard needs is eggs, sugar, cream and a dash of real vanilla extract.:chef:

It's possible I mean a bain marie, but isn't a double boiler (or...perhaps a water bath?) something that goes into the oven, while a bain marie is on top of the stove over a pot of hot water? It probably doesn't matter though, just a terminology thing :0)

My grandma taught me to put the custard cups in a baking pan, place pan in the oven, and pour boiling water in the pan until it's halfway up the sides of the cups.
She just used whole milk, but she "scalded" it first...in other words, she heated it in a pan, stirring occasionally, until it started getting bubbles around the edges.

Back
Top Bottom