Cut my own ribeye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kayelle said:
Ahhhhhhhh but it's soooooooo worth it especially if your feeling primal with a good rare beef bone!!

We have a whole garage full of saws. Band saw? Miter saw? What saw?

Last edited:
We have a whole garage full of saws. Band saw? Miter saw? What saw?
You can cut a bone in piece of meat on a bandsaw. Needs to be thoroughly cleaned after. I've cut up a few deer on a radial saw. As stated, you can cut between the spinal joints, but you are limited in the thickness of the cut.

"Prime" is the highest grade of beef, dcSaute.........seldom available to us regular people. ;) Here's a further explanation.......

prime rib Definition in the Food Dictionary at Epicurious.com

I'm very surprised that Epicurious lets that stand. it is incorrect.

prime rib is an accepted and common name for the cut of meat.
the "prime" in prime rib does not mean or infer a USDA grade of Prime.

the USDA - the people who regulate label terms - explicitly allows the use of "prime" as a descriptor for the cut, and explicitly disassociates it from the USDA grade "prime"

I think the description of a rib roast as a prime rib is acceptable, although not entirely accurate. Similar to various store labels as "managers choice" "Kansas City Prime", or Angus Prime, all trade names. What is not acceptable to the USDA is the labeling of a cut of beef as USDA choice or prime if it has not been graded.

Personally, when I buy prime, I buy USDA prime. It is readily available if you want to pay the price. Costco carries it. Yesterday at Costco, whole boneless ribs were $10.99, steaks $14.99. Whole Choice was around six bucks.

Grading is a judgment call, and based on the appearance of only one steak and the overall configuration of the animal. It is sometimes possible to purchase a better cut of beef labeled USDA Choice than USDA Prime at the same bin. It pays to know your meat. It is particularly important if you are buying cut up meat, since one end of the rib is next to the chuck, and the other is next to the strip. In strips it's the rib and the round. In general, the closer to the center of the animal, the better the steak.

I'm very surprised that Epicurious lets that stand. it is incorrect.

prime rib is an accepted and common name for the cut of meat.
the "prime" in prime rib does not mean or infer a USDA grade of Prime.

the USDA - the people who regulate label terms - explicitly allows the use of "prime" as a descriptor for the cut, and explicitly disassociates it from the USDA grade "prime"

+1

......and now you know the rest of the story!

Last edited:
Bigjim68 said:
It pays to know your meat. It is particularly important if you are buying cut up meat, since one end of the rib is next to the chuck, and the other is next to the strip. In strips it's the rib and the round. In general, the closer to the center of the animal, the better the steak.

Another + 1

The grade levels will also put you in the right store.... as some only carry Select Grade

...And as your 'Old Uncle' has said many times....Cooking a great steak begins at the point of purchase...

Last edited:
I've never bought a huge chunk of meat at BJ's, but at my local grocery when I buy one they will cut it for me. My grocer had beef tenderloin for 8.99 a lb this week, so I bought one and they cut it into 1 1/2" steaks. I can use them for steak, kabobs and several other uses. We had the smallest steak last night and it was wonderful.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom