Cut my own ribeye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I want to go to BJ's and get a big hunk of meat to be able to cut my own ribeye steaks. Which piece of meat do I want to buy? Is it just called the ribeye primal or is there another name?

I want to go to BJ's and get a big hunk of meat to be able to cut my own ribeye steaks. Which piece of meat do I want to buy? Is it just called the ribeye primal or is there another name?

You want a rib roast.....sometimes incorrectly called a "prime rib"

Can I come to dinner, GB?

Around here a big hunk of meat that you can cut several steaks or chops out of is called a loin; as in pork loin, strip loin and ribeye loin. I couldn't tell you what BJs calls it, but you'll know it when you see it. A ribeye loin is typically around 15-18 lbs.
Most stores, again, around here, will cut it for free and even package it for you, but I prefer doing it myself. If you've never cut up a loin before, stick it in the freezer for a while. It will cut a lot easier and be less messy with the "juices" ;) You want it to reach that semi-frozen state.

It think BJ's calls it a whole boneless ribeye. If not, the terminology should be fairly easy to decipher.

Note to self: Save steak bones for Kayelle.
:LOL:

(I love prime rib roast bones. Grilled steak bones... meh ;))

I get great satisfaction from cutting up my own loin steaks and chops, and bagging them up in my FS. I had the store cut a loin for me once, they weighed it, priced it, cut it, and threw away the scraps, which I had paid for! Forget that!

We can get boneless ribeye here too. Haven't tried it yet.

Last edited:

It's called ribeye, GB. It's very difficult to get prime, as that is generally saved for the restaurants, but around here, they occasionally have them at Sam's. What we usually get is choice, and I actually like it better, because there is less fat. Kim sometimes ages them in the vacuum package, but I don't care for the "whang" they get, so he hasn't been doing that lately.

I really like roasting a hunk of ribeye in the oven, and then slicing it. Kim rubs the meat with salt, pepper and granulated garlic (pretty heavily) and roasts, uncovered, in a 375 oven until it reaches an internal temp of 120-125, and then removes it from the oven, covers with foil and lets it stand for 5-7 minutes. That's for medium rare.
Add a baked potato with sour cream and asparagus spears, and you have a feast!

Simple point. Unless you have a meat saw, you will have a difficult time cutting a whole bone in rib. Most vendors list primals as whole boneless rib or strip.

I buy them from Costco and buy prime. Age them in the Cryovac bag for 6 weeks or so, and you have the same cut as a high quality restaurant.

I was paying $6.50 or so for prime whole ribs and strips 3 months ago. Today $10.99.

FWIW: A whole rib or strip is the whole primal, a rib roast is a smaller cut, usually around a 6 inch or so cut. Roasts are often cut from the chuck end of the whole rib. The steaks are cut from the loin end. Not all the time, but often.

Back
Top Bottom