Cutting Fresh Pineapple

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Sizzles your stories always put a smile on my face since they bring back childhood memories for me as well.

I did not have a mango tree in my backyard but as kids we use to eat mangoes in ways that no one here does. We use to get small mangoes that we use to leave the skin on and sort of massage until the pulp was loose from the skin. Then we use to just suck the pulp out of the mango by biting the bitter core out. It was so messy as little kids but so much fun. Sometimes we used to eat the skin as well and did not care about it being bitter.

We also remember getting guavas and chickoos from orchards that people we knew who owned them. Most times we would just bite into them without worrying about anything or washing them.

Chickoos are one fruit I have never seen here. They are brown in color, extremely sweet and have a large black seed in the middle.

The pineapples are very likely ALL the same

Dole is the principal supplier unless you get some from Mexico. Eat the core if you can. Don't if you can't. It is really pretty easy and simple.

I did not have a mango tree in my backyard but as kids we use to eat mangoes in ways that no one here does. We use to get small mangoes that we use to leave the skin on and sort of massage until the pulp was loose from the skin. Then we use to just suck the pulp out of the mango by biting the bitter core out. It was so messy as little kids but so much fun. Sometimes we used to eat the skin as well and did not care about it being bitter.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Wow you did that too Yakuta. Goodness they were happy mango times.I fell of my granpa's mango tree several times while concentrating on sucking the pulp.I got shocked the first time someone used a knife to cut mangoes :ROFLMAO: Sorry everyone this is a pineapple thread, the mango just slipped in!

marmalady said:
Sizzles, if I remember correctly, it's only certain species of mango that produce the 'itchy' sap - perhaps the ones from Africa don't have it? Are you susceptible to poison ivy - asking because all my life, I've never had poison ivy til we moved here to Charleston, and I've now had 2 cases that were just terrible - doc said it's a different type of poison ivy than we had in NJ.

Sorry I got off topic here, didn't mean to hijack the pineapple questions.
I have never see poison Ivy, but do know of it. Must be horrible. Here is Switzerland, I buy mangoes from Ghana or Mexico. thanks though for highlighting this marmalady.

GB said:
That really sounds like heaven. Next time I am stressed out I am going to picture this in my mind. Wow does that sound peaceful and relaxing :cool:

Oh they were lovely carefree days. I haven't even told you about riding my granpa's cows while taking them to the river to drink water!Our bedtime stories here for my kids are of my adventures with my brothers and sisters while visiting my granpa every school holidays.

Back
Top Bottom