"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 01-07-2006, 09:42 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CookinBlondie Send a message via MSN to CookinBlondie Send a message via Yahoo to CookinBlondie
Cutting Fresh Pineapple

My family and I have recently started a healthy eating plan within our household. To follow this, we are going to start drinking fresh juice drinks, (aka, juicing our own fruits/veggies). We just bought A beautiful pineapple in the fresh produce section of the supermarket, but due to never having eaten pineapple but from a can, we have no idea on how to clean it.

If you have any special tips, I would be most obliged. Thank you so much in advance.

-Lauren

Old 01-07-2006, 10:06 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Cut off the top and the bottom.

Stand the pineapple up on its flat bottom. Using a sharp knife or bread knife, cut strips of the skin following the curve of the pineapple down from top to bottom with the knife blade. Continue cutting off vertical strips until the pineapple is skinless.

The core of the pineapple is inedible. Cut the pineapple in half from top to bottom. Working with one of the halves, place the half pineapple flat side down and cut it in half lengthwise so you have two long thin strips. Repeat with the other half of the pineapple.

Stand a quarter pineapple piece on end and and cut off the portion of the core attached to it. Repeat with the other quarters.

From there, cut it up any way you want.

Old 01-07-2006, 10:09 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CookinBlondie Send a message via MSN to CookinBlondie Send a message via Yahoo to CookinBlondie
Thanks a lot Andy!

-Lauren
Old 01-08-2006, 09:08 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
The core of the pineapple is inedible.

I disagree. The core is a crunchy treat at our house. We buy 2 to 3 pineapples a week at Costco (usually $2.99 apiece) and there is a rush to chomp down on the core. Of course, the volume of pineapples at Costco is so high that they are always fresh and ripe so we have not had any problems with woody or pulpy cores.

I would liken the texture of the pineapple core to that of water chestnuts. They can be included in salads and stir fry for texture and crunch. Be sure to cut them in small chunks.

Here is another site link which has some alternate ways of preparing and serving fresh pineapple:

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshel...523,64,00.html

I've even seen the core of pineapple sliced lengthwise into 4 inch strips and used as swizzle sticks in cocktails.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:18 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

I agree about the core also

And it adds fiber to your diet. I know juicing is popular, but I believe the consensus is that it is healthier to eat the complete fruit. The juice is calorie laden and without the fiber that the whole fruit provides.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:42 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Every Week

i buy pineapples every week for the past three years due to illness I have that requires fresh fruit. There is no way I could eat the core. Do you think this is due to the pineapples being old? It is actually like a piece of wood and no knife can cut it. If the knife I use wouldn't do it how can you expect the teeth to chew it? You pique my curiousity somewhat and I will buy at Costco to see if I get different results. I have read where the core of the pineapple is the most healthy but I have consistently failed to eat it. thanks for info.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:05 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
i buy pineapples every week for the past three years due to illness I have that requires fresh fruit. There is no way I could eat the core. Do you think this is due to the pineapples being old? It is actually like a piece of wood and no knife can cut it. If the knife I use wouldn't do it how can you expect the teeth to chew it? You pique my curiousity somewhat and I will buy at Costco to see if I get different results. I have read where the core of the pineapple is the most healthy but I have consistently failed to eat it. thanks for info.
I do not know enough about pineapples to know when or why the core becomes woody, but I do know that there are different varieties of pineapple and perhaps different varieties have different core characteristics (perhaps in the nature of peaches and nectarines having cling and free-stone varieties).

Even if the core seems to be a bit fibrous if you cut it in small pieces across the grain (like you would a flank or skirt steak) the smaller pieces are quite chewable. If a health limitation, such as diverticular disease, precludes you from eating certain foods high in fiber I would check with your doctor since there is definitely lots of fiber in a pineapple core.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:24 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

If it's too tough then don't eat it. Sometimes they are and sometimes they aren't.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:29 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Here's another way to prepare pineapple.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:03 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Having been brought up in the tropics, I know that there are more than one way to skin a cat...ehm i mean to prepare a pineapple. This might be helpful. if you have eaten the pineapple already, then for the next time you buy one. http://www.hormel.com/templates/temp...mid=113&id=835
just like my mama taught me!
I always enjoy the core, my kids are beginning to like it too.