De-boning/butterflying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otter

Sous Chef
I'm going to be doing a duck after New Year's. I saw a show where the chef de-boned/butterflyed the duck. Anyone ever try this?

mudbug said:
If you debone them they are not going to get any better(at)flying, Otter. sorry, couldn't resist poking fun at your typo!
You would have to be on it like a duck on a junebug before I could correct it. :LOL:

Have done this with a chicken, never tried a duck...

Some major advantages if you like to seriously season your meat, as there's that much more meat exposed. I cooked it using a BBQ "grilling basket", and noted that it cooked out exceptionally quickly, too, as its quite thin...

You will need a sharp boning knife, a little patience, and about 15-20 minutes to bone a bird out, the first time...

Lifter

Lifter said:
Have done this with a chicken, never tried a duck...

Some major advantages if you like to seriously season your meat, as there's that much more meat exposed. I cooked it using a BBQ "grilling basket", and noted that it cooked out exceptionally quickly, too, as its quite thin...

You will need a sharp boning knife, a little patience, and about 15-20 minutes to bone a bird out, the first time...

Lifter
Thanks, Lifter. I got interested in the concept because I thought:
More even and thorough seasoning.
Faster cooking.
More even cooking.
Can de-bone when I'm not under any time pressure. Don't have to carve a hot bird when everything else (potatoes, gravy, rolls, etc.) is getting done.

As the chef that taught me said, "God gave them all 'zippers' and quick-cuts, to make this easy"...

I found it relatively simple with a chicken, but have thought about this a but, and a duck will be that little more challenging...especially if you want to "totally" debone it, as the clavicle will be difficult to get out cleanly...likewise you may as well vut the wing at the drum-end, rather than take the "wrist", as there's not enough meat there for the effort required...

I'd encourage you to try seasoning and or marinating, as the results with duck could be quite profound!

With all the fats, tho', you'll want to be carefull about the pontential for flare-ups, if doing this on the BBQ, or allowing for fgat drainage, if going the oven route...

By all means let us know how it comes out for you!

Best Regards

Lifter

Similar but far from the same in someof the bones and muscle masses...

Lifter

If anyone can direct me to a web site that has DIAGRAMS OR PICTURES of the deboning process, I would be appreciative. I have been able to find verbal descriptions of the process. I have been able to find diagrams and pictures of butterflying and cutting the chicken into pieces, but not deboning.

Otter, if you google "turducken", I'm sure you will find the full procedure in vast detail....I forgot to save the page...

Lifter

Lifter said:
Otter, if you google "turducken", I'm sure you will find the full procedure in vast detail....I forgot to save the page...

Lifter
No such luck, at least on the first page. Maybe I should email John Madden - it's obvious that he has eaten a few! :LOL: I watched the show and didn't pay a whole lot of attention. Afterwords, I thought it was a great idea, and I remember the basics, the breast bone and the back bone, but am fuzzy after that.

Otter, a quick search didn't give me photo's but the page at

www.chefpaul.com/turducken.html

is both an interesting site to visit, and has a written explanation of the boning process, some good "after the boning" snaps, etc, that might be of use to you.

Sorry, I should have given you an extra key word for your web search...

Lifter

Wow, that is some process! Don't think I'd want to go to all that work, but wouldn't mind taste-testing it.

Otter, I'm hoping you will still give this a try!

The "bafflegab" descriptions are not that "hard" to do...(if I can do it, its "idiot-proof!")...

Like I've said before, its down to a really good knife...the "first time" I did this with a chicken I used my re-sharpened Normark filleting knife, that I bought in or around 1973, and keep keen with the Arkansas whetstones and mineral oil...but the Trident boning knife is such a jewel, as long as you keep it up on a sharpening steel...

Anyways, the "trick" is to get your bird sort of "reasonably warm" that the muscles and joints are reasonably "easy" to "wiggle"...

Turn it breast side down, and "skillfully" locate and pull up those "shoulder 'scapular' bones" out first...and only then start down the backbone, taking good care with the "oyster" bits...

Your first "issue" will be the thigh socket bone joints, but "slashing away with the sharpened knife tip" will teach you how to get past that...and it quickly separates...the muscles (meat) are sort of tied back to the carcass, and you can just press your knife blade down the inside of the thigh, and cut out the bone...likewise with the drumstick, remembering to sever the sinews at either end...the bones come out pretty easy...

After that, the breast meat is very simple...there's only a couple "attachment points", just keep the skin intact...

"Chop" the wings between the "drumlet" and the "wrist", using the "wrist" and "tip" with a chef's knife, and use the "discarded" pieces (all of them!) for "stock"...

The "drumlet" and "clavicle" are indeed a bit of a "project" to "dig out" (especially considering the duck's peculiar bones and meat!), but there's no big threat to humanity if you leave these "in", is there? (I doubt the "western World", as we have come to know it, will crash in the fashion of Ozymandius, if there is a bone or two there, and we are forewarned!)

Rubbing, marinading, and the various methods of cooking this up...I gotta let you try it! Don't "chicken out"!

Lifter

I'm going to give it a try in mid to late January. I'm sure I can get the bones out, but am concerned about how presentable the duck will look after the process. I ordered a new Forschner boning knife to aid in the process.

Otter, go to www.foodtv.com and click on 'videos'; you'll see a section for 'poultry'; click on that, and there's a video you can watch for deboning a chicken.

Also, for everyone, they have a lot of neat basic videos on things like knife skills, etc. Pretty cool.

Thanks marmalady! I didn't know that area existed. Lots of really interesting stuff there, so will also go back to check some other things.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom