"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 03-30-2006, 04:43 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Deep fry: how hot?

i want to get some oil nice and hot to fry some seaweed quickly. But how will I know it's as hot as it will get without actually bursting into flames? My electric ring goes from 1 -6 & has no temp. equivalent. Plan to use peanut oil.

(moving back into the frying arena after learning DF is less unhealthy than I thought if done quickly).

Old 03-30-2006, 08:03 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

I would not say deep frying is less unhealthy than you though if done quickly. A more accurate statement is that it is (probably) less unhealthy than you thought if done correctly. The key (as you are asking) is the temp of the oil and how long the food stays in the oil. Speed in not necessarily what you want, but you do not want to leave the food in too long.

As far as the correct temp, the best way to judge it is with a thermometer. A deep fry thermometer is very inexpensive so I would recommend buying one and using it every time you deep fry. That will insure you have the right temp.

Old 03-30-2006, 08:32 AM   #3
Executive Chef

360* F on the thermometer. If your regulator goes from 1-6, I would heat the oil on 5 and reduce if necessary as the oil reaches temp.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:33 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Oil hot enough?

I never had a thermometer. At one point I was recommended the following solution that has served me well for quite a while: Drop a small bread cube into the oil. If it begins cooking immediately (bubbles form) and if it is sufficiently browned in about 40 seconds or so, then the oil is ready. Ive never had a problem using this method.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:22 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Correct oil temperature is dependent on the size of the food being fried. Larger items require a lower temp so they will cook through and brown at the same time. Smaller items should cook at a higher temp for the same reason.

A thin piece of seaweed should be cooked hot and fast as you said. I would take GB's suggestion and get a thermometer. I'd aim for a temperature near 375-390 F.

Your stove knob won't work as a reliable indicator. The size and shape of the pan, the amount of oil and the power of the burner are all variables that make it unreliable.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:08 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

I've got a sugar thermometer somewhere, do you think this will work in the same way as a frying gauge?
Old 03-30-2006, 10:28 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

If the thermometer's temperature range covers the temps we're talking about, it should work fine.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:57 AM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Yeah sugar or candy thermometers should work. Sometimes they are even labled as candy/deep fry thermometers.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:44 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

I always just use a thermometer to measure. I wait until around 350-260 or so.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:35 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Do not dry it over 400 degrees, that will ruin the oil very easily.