"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 10-13-2006, 02:22 AM   #31
Head Chef

The only thing I can say to the sceptics is try Andy M's method in the second post in this thread. Works a treat. It pays not to have the chips/fries too thick. I use a mandolin with 7 mm julienne blade.

Old 10-13-2006, 04:05 AM   #32
Head Chef

To the sceptics: if you can afford it, try Andy M's method in the second post in this thread. Works a treat.

Here in Spain, peanut oil is sold in 100 ml bottles at a dollar and more a time. Canola isn't available. Corn oil is about the same price as buying a blend of refined and extra virgin olive oil. Sunflower oil is about a fifth of the price of blended olive oil and that's what I'd been using till I posted this thread. Having tried olive oil, I won't be going back to sunflower oil despite it being so cheap in comparison.

Edited: sorry about the double post. Not sure what happened there. I submitted the post above a few hours ago but it didn't appear so added this one. Oh well. The vagaries of the Web...

Old 10-13-2006, 07:05 AM   #33
Assistant Cook

Frying temp is about 375* usually.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:58 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

clive, the thicker chips as you've described are called steak fries in the nyc area, and the thin little lacey ones are called shoestring fries.
i prefer steak fries, or the thicker chips as well.

i love the chips (crisps), fried in good spanish olive oil, that you get in spanish/portugese restaurants here. they're mostly crispy around the outside, like a regular american potato chip, but are slightly soft in the center, like a french fry.

has anyone tried bertolli's or berio's extra light olive oil? it has a higher smoking point (468 degrees) than regular olive oil. i use it often for high temp browning or frying, even in my wok. it doesn't have much of an olive flavor, so it can replace most oils without changing the taste. on the other hand, i often add a little evoo to the dish at the end if i want that olive oil flavor.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:11 AM   #35
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
has anyone tried bertolli's or berio's extra light olive oil? it has a higher smoking point (468 degrees) than regular olive oil. i use it often for high temp browning or frying, even in my wok. it doesn't have much of an olive flavor, so it can replace most oils without changing the taste. on the other hand, i often add a little evoo to the dish at the end if i want that olive oil flavor.
I use Bertolli's but not the extra light, just virgin olive oil. It's tasty but again I don't use it for deep frying or wok cooking. For those I use peanut oil which has a high smoke point. I do use Bertolli's for pan frying, particularly something like veal milanese or piccata.

Fraidy
Old 10-13-2006, 07:13 PM   #36
Head Chef

I have used Olive Oil for many things but I have found other oils that are just as good and not as expensive.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:36 AM   #37
Senior Cook

Cooks Illustrated for their Nov-Dec edition rated Olive oils, not in my opinion a good test but still, likely fair, however limited.