Definition of Numbers on Produce Stickers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
I ran across this a long time ago and have found it useful.

Fruits and vegetables in grocery stores often have stickers with numbers on them. These numbers are more than price codes used at the check-out.
  • A label with four digits indicates conventionally grown foods.
  • Labels with five digits starting with an 8 indicate that the food is genetically modified.
  • Labels with five digits starting with a 9 indicate that the food is organically grown.

WOW - thanks - and due to my memory I'm goinig to have to print up a little piece of paper with this information on it along with the color coding system for twist ties on bread.

Thanks for this info - very informative.

I did the same thing, elf--I cut it out of whatever magazine I'd found it in and carry it in my wallet.

What's the coding system for bread?

Bread is delivered fresh to the stores five days a week - Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. And each day has a different color twist tie. They are:

Monday - Blue
Tuesday - Green
Thursday - Red
Friday - White
Saturday - Yellow

And if you can remember the colors in alphabetical order they flow with the days of the week delivered.

Last edited:
This is interesting info. I've always wondered about the bread thing. Makes me look forward to the next grocery day for a change.

BC

thanks for the info pab.
i've been obsessed with looking at expiration dates on my food for a while (if you search, you can often find things with a coupla more days to expiration, ergo more fresh). i've noticed that bread tag color thing a while ago on english muffins and corn cakes.
i've always wondered about the numbers on produce. now i can obsess about one more thing...:blink:

Last edited:
Hi All,
So what does a Bar Code tell you?

Archiduc

As far as I know it's a means of keeping up with inventory and pricing. An item is entered into inventory with the purchasing price, retail price, and for wine with the varietal, maker, region, and vintage. Other items may have a "grown in" location, etc. The bar code is then scanned into the proper field. When you scan the bar code it reads the price and then reflects in the inventory...negatively for a sale and positively for a return.

Other than that I don't know that it does anything.

Great info. Thank you!

I have it written down on my notepad and will take notice on my next grocery trip.

What would I do without DC?!? Thank you for the info and thanks to BT for bringing this thread back to life!!

Back
Top Bottom