"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 03-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot View Post
For $1500.00 Charlie it should make me a martini, go to the store for the spuds, pick up something nice to go with them, come back, make me another martini, peel the taters, do the other prep work, cook dinner, uncork the wine, serve the dinner, do the dishes, and pour a nice after dinner drink.

I hope you ordered two. LOL

iT WAS ALL AVAILABLE AS AN OPTIANAL ATTACHMENTS, OF COURSE FOR MORE MONEY.

wELL, IT WAS A COMERCIAL PIECE, FOR HOME i WOULDN'T BOTHER. bUT SINCE i OFTEN (oops, sorry) cook for 40-50 people I wouldn't mind something like that.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:50 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
The link Andy M. provided is to a device that you would use on raw potatoes, not cooked.

The easiest way I have found is cut your potato in half lengthwise. Place the flat side down and cut in slices then turn potato 1/4 turn and dice.

Your mandoline will work just fine - a mandoline isn't for cutting tomatoes but firmer items. But slice your potatoes raw, again, not coooked. Your potatoes will also cook much faster if already diced before cooking.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #13
Master Chef

I ove my potato sald cut into very tiny pieces, so I simply grate everything. Works fine and everybody loves it, because it is so soft.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:15 PM   #14
Master Chef

I never dice potatoes for potato salad - too small. Plus, I don't like that uniform-piece look - too commercial in appearance. I just cut the cooked potatoes into bite-size pieces, which is easiest done by hand with a good knife.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:50 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianabell View Post
What's the quickest way to dice potatoes, any tool to speed this up, or just be fast with a knife? I'm trying to be more efficient in the kitchen and get things done quicker.

Diane

Speed comes with a price - but sure there are gizmos to do this! Here is just one site that carries potato dicers that you'll find from a Google search on potato dicers.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:04 PM   #16
Master Chef

I have always peeled and diced my potatoes before cooking. They cook more evenly that way. I like them to be tender but not mushy.

I tried something different last summer, though, and it turned out well. I baked the potatoes in the microwave, then slipped off the skins and chopped them on a cutting board. It saved dirtying up a cooking pot and the stove, and made great potato salad.