Dicing potatoes for potato salad, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianabell

Assistant Cook
What's the quickest way to dice potatoes, any tool to speed this up, or just be fast with a knife? I'm trying to be more efficient in the kitchen and get things done quicker.

Diane

You could get one of these.

I peel the potato and cut it into slices the thickness of the dice I want. Then I cut the slices into sticks of the same thickness. Then I cut the sticks into cubes. You can do each step in multiples. e.g. stack 2 or 3 slices to cut sticks and 3-4 sticks to make cubes, etc.

Diane, I'm not aware of any tool that will dice your cooked potatoes for potato salad, etc. One thing I have learned over the years is that if I dip my knife in a glass of water between slicing, the knife will move through the potato easier.

Another method you might try is to cube the potatoes before cooking, then steaming them until they are as tender as you want. I've done it this way and it's a decent way to cook them. However, I much prefer the cook first and cube later method.

I've had many years of practice when it comes to chopping, mincing and dicing, so I never really have any challenge with it anymore.

Whichever method you choose, the best way to make things go safely, smoothly and quickly is to be sure you have a good, sharp knife to use. A dull knife is unsafe and will make your job take longer than necessary.

If you are going to use a device like Andy linked, then you need to cook your potatoes then leave them in the fridge for a day. If you try to do it while the taters are still warm there will some mashing involved. But if they are cold, they will dice up nice. I have a Vidalia Chop Wizard and using the large cubes they come out nice. You will need to at least cut your taters in half before dicing or you end up with french fries instead of cubes.

I think I'll stick with cooking them first since taste is #1 priority so I'll try the french fry chopper and see if that's faster. I have a straight blade de Buyer mandoline. It won't slice tomatoes (I guess because it's not a V shaped blade) so it might not do soft cooked potatoes either but it can't hurt to try one, but if it does, that would be great. I hope it does.

Thanks for all ideas and comments. If these two experiments don't work, I'll stick with chopping them with the knife after cooked. I've been doing what Andy M. does.

Diane

I just went to food show and they had awesome food processor for only $1500.00 Wow. it diced in 3 or 4 diferent sizes, no preslicing nothing.

For $1500.00 Charlie it should make me a martini, go to the store for the spuds, pick up something nice to go with them, come back, make me another martini, peel the taters, do the other prep work, cook dinner, uncork the wine, serve the dinner, do the dishes, and pour a nice after dinner drink.

I hope you ordered two. LOL

What's the quickest way to dice potatoes, any tool to speed this up, or just be fast with a knife? I'm trying to be more efficient in the kitchen and get things done quicker.

Diane

Check out Pamper Chef. I have a dicer from them that works great.

For $1500.00 Charlie it should make me a martini, go to the store for the spuds, pick up something nice to go with them, come back, make me another martini, peel the taters, do the other prep work, cook dinner, uncork the wine, serve the dinner, do the dishes, and pour a nice after dinner drink.

I hope you ordered two. LOL

iT WAS ALL AVAILABLE AS AN OPTIANAL ATTACHMENTS, OF COURSE FOR MORE MONEY.

wELL, IT WAS A COMERCIAL PIECE, FOR HOME i WOULDN'T BOTHER. bUT SINCE i OFTEN (oops, sorry) cook for 40-50 people I wouldn't mind something like that.

The link Andy M. provided is to a device that you would use on raw potatoes, not cooked.

The easiest way I have found is cut your potato in half lengthwise. Place the flat side down and cut in slices then turn potato 1/4 turn and dice.

Your mandoline will work just fine - a mandoline isn't for cutting tomatoes but firmer items. But slice your potatoes raw, again, not coooked. Your potatoes will also cook much faster if already diced before cooking.

I ove my potato sald cut into very tiny pieces, so I simply grate everything. Works fine and everybody loves it, because it is so soft.

I never dice potatoes for potato salad - too small. Plus, I don't like that uniform-piece look - too commercial in appearance. I just cut the cooked potatoes into bite-size pieces, which is easiest done by hand with a good knife.

Diane

Speed comes with a price - but sure there are gizmos to do this! Here is just one site that carries potato dicers that you'll find from a Google search on potato dicers.

I have always peeled and diced my potatoes before cooking. They cook more evenly that way. I like them to be tender but not mushy.

I tried something different last summer, though, and it turned out well. I baked the potatoes in the microwave, then slipped off the skins and chopped them on a cutting board. It saved dirtying up a cooking pot and the stove, and made great potato salad.

Back
Top Bottom