Does anyone know what Veal La Sous is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MommyDoThis

Assistant Cook
I am not sure I have the spelling correctly so please forgive me! I have relatives who are French and this is on the menu for today. They gave me the option to request "another" dish if I wasn't comfortable with this one.

I said, No that sounds good. Veal is good!

Then I noticed the hubby giggling at my response...

So my question is:

Does anyone know what Veal La Sous (sp?) is?

MommyDoThis :cool:

Sorry, I Googled and got no place.

Am sure someone will be here soon to help.

But here we decide on the menu. You come to our house you get what we are serving. We do our best to accomodate, believe me.

But for someone to say that if the dish they requested makes me uncomfortable I could opt for another, I would take umbrage.

They would get franks and beans.

Sorry. Just feel a bit peckish today.

Mommy, as far as I've been able to determine, it is a veal dish that includes mushrooms. I Googled "veau au sous" and, with translations, came up with my conclusion.

My French isn't as good as it used to be, but there's bound to be a member here who speaks/reads fluent French and will be able to help you.

I think it will be delicious no matter what. I love veal prepared just about any way.

hmmmm, 'souse' means to pickle or brined. Or, it could be a ground veal such as used in a luncheon meat bound with a brine-based gelatin mixture??

cjs said:
hmmmm, 'souse' means to pickle or brined. Or, it could be a ground veal such as used in a luncheon meat bound with a brine-based gelatin mixture??

Boy, I hope not - what a way to waste a nice piece of veal!

cjs said:

You are correct with your description of "souse," but sous is a French word which means "beneath" or "under. I don't think the veal is pickled or brined. As I said earlier, my French is not as good as it used to be.

it sounds like sous vide
a technique i use at work for my lamb
what i have is lamb shoulder
i prepare it "confit" but rather than cook it in its own fat, it is in an airtight bag with all the seasonings and the air removed
then it is cooked for 24 hour hours at 65-67C about 160-167F
it is moist and succulent and very flavourful
the technique works for lesser cuts of beef, pork, lamb, game, even dark meat chicken and some fish like monkfish

I "could" say that it's made from the parts of young calves chained inside tiny cages in order to prevent their moving around & thus turning their muscular/meat structure from snowy white to pink (thus reducing their price).

But I won't.

BreezyCooking said:
I "could" say that it's made from the parts of young calves chained inside tiny cages in order to prevent their moving around & thus turning their muscular/meat structure from snowy white to pink (thus reducing their price).

But I won't.

Thank you for demonstrating restraint. No sense beating a dead 'horse'.

BreezyCooking said:

But I won't.

And boy oh boy is it delicious! Not quite as delicious as the livers of force-fed geese, but still very good. In fact, a nice piece of grilled chained-in-a-little-cage-baby-calf paired with a piece of seared-forced-fed-with-a-tube-goose-liver topped with Sauce Perigueux is out of this world. Hey, maybe I'll run that for a special!

But back to the original question, I agree with the Jedi that it's probably veal cooked sous vide. If it was with mushrooms, they would've called it Veau a la Champignon, Veau a la Cepes, etc.

Last edited:
But back to the original question, I agree with the Jedi that it's probably veal cooked sous vide. If it was with mushrooms, they would've called it Veau a la Champignon, Veau a la Cepes, etc.
My only problem with that is what part of a calf needs to be cooked sous vide? stew meat? the shank? :ermm: Veal cooked low and slow, other than the breast, makes no sense to me.

ChefJune said:
My only problem with that is what part of a calf needs to be cooked sous vide? stew meat? the shank? :ermm: Veal cooked low and slow, other than the breast, makes no sense to me.

The shank would work, or veal shoulder and veal cheeks. Those are the three cuts that I've done sous vide. It should work for the other cuts of veal that are normally tougher as well. Usually, for proteins that I do sous vide, I take cuts of meat that I would normally braise. That's just my preference. But tender proteins can be done sous vide and be done very successfully. Things like salmon, tenderloin, foies gras etc.. With sous vide, for those who don't know, it's not only just about making a piece of meat tender, but what it also does is it concentrates the flavors with the vacuum sealing. If you're going for just tenderness, then something like a Ziploc bag can be used, but when you use a vacuum sealer/bags, whatever marinade that you use is "forced" into the protein and makes it more flavorful. Then, by gently cooking it via sous vide, you get this unbelievably tender and flavorful protein. If you were to do two proteins sous vide with the same marinade, then cooked one in a Ziploc bag and one with a vacuum sealed bag, you'd taste the difference. For me, I just prefer to use sous vide for things that I would braise or slow poach because for something like salmon, foie gras, etc., I like getting the golden brown crust on it. I know I could do that after I sous vide it, but I don't see the point of that. I may as well poach it in butter or olive oil. Although it can be done without one, a thermal circulator is a great, great tool to use for cooking sous vide because you can maintain a consistent low temperature. LOL the problem is that they cost in excess of $1,000 so it's not something most homecooks would buy.

Last edited:
MommyDoThis said:
I am not sure I have the spelling correctly so please forgive me! I have relatives who are French and this is on the menu for today. They gave me the option to request "another" dish if I wasn't comfortable with this one.

I said, No that sounds good. Veal is good!

Then I noticed the hubby giggling at my response...

So my question is:

Does anyone know what Veal La Sous (sp?) is?

MommyDoThis :cool:

veau elevé sous la mère describes a calf that has been allowed to be raised by it's mother, as opposed to the customary method described so eloquently by Breezy.

Back
Top Bottom