"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 09-08-2005, 05:00 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Bang takes a bow.

Old 09-08-2005, 07:40 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangbang
Is this better?

Much much much better!

Old 09-09-2005, 07:25 AM   #33
Master Chef

All I can say is WOW!. I was taught to use sharp things properly since my early years. But that was for whitling techniques, using a hatchet, axe, splitting mall, etc. I just never felt comfortable cutting toward my hand, or any other body parts. So when I became serious about cooking, I purchased a cutting board and watched what others did. I kind of self taught myself. Through the years, I've picked up tips from watching professionals, and professional show-offs, you know, those TV chefs who can bone a chicken in 30 seconds.

I'm pretty quick, and rarely cut myself, but it has happened, mostly the inside edge of my right thumb when it got too close to the blade while slicing something like celery or carrots. Fortunatley, I've only drawn blood a couple times, and never lost skin, just sliced into it. I have very fast reflexes and strong thumbnails that have protected me from the occasional act of stupidity.

The four most used items in my kitchen are the cast-iron pans, the Croma Chef's knife, the cutting board, and the sink.

Like HTC and others, my mother, my grandmother, my mother-in-law, and my wife prefer to slice carrots, celery, and similar veggies against their thumb. I find that cumbersome, dangerous, and slow. I can't bring myself to do it. In the few times where I have had to, I rotate the veggie against the blade, cutting half way through on every side, until the piece falls into the pot or bowl.

I don't understand how people can cut comfortably toward their thumb. I must just be a coward when it comes to intentionally inflicting pain on myself.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the Nroth

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 10:52 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
yes, the thumb sticking out near the operating knife is always in the danger of becoming sore (well... to put it very mildly), the tech I usually use for safety precaution, whenever this position is possible is, to make a loose fist with the supporting hand which is securing the object being cut (usually left, but in my case right as I am a lefty) and turn it sideways to have the back of 4fingers face towards the knife in almost vertical position this way you will have very little chance to have the edge of the blade come in contact with the hand unless you are really trying to hack something mightily!!
Old 09-09-2005, 11:33 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Michael

I wouldn't show this to my kid sister. It sure won't be a bargain if she tries to use it as a guide. Good thing you started reading it first. You would have regretted giving it to her, maybe for life. I would rather take time to show her rather than have her do it this way. Wonder who this person is who wrote the book? Never know how things get started.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:10 PM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
Like HTC and others, my mother, my grandmother, my mother-in-law, and my wife prefer to slice carrots, celery, and similar veggies against their thumb. I find that cumbersome, dangerous, and slow. I can't bring myself to do it. In the few times where I have had to, I rotate the veggie against the blade, cutting half way through on every side, until the piece falls into the pot or bowl.

I don't understand how people can cut comfortably toward their thumb. I must just be a coward when it comes to intentionally inflicting pain on myself.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the Nroth
Actually, it works pretty well with a dull knife. With a good knife it is nearly impossible to tell where the carrot stops and the flesh begins until you see the blood. In my Mom's kitchen I used to do it a lot (she doesn't know what a sharp knife looks like )... in my kitchen I wouldn't even consider it.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:28 AM   #37
Master Chef

I do occasionally cut towards myself, but not in that way. I've heard what I do called the "Italian Grandmother" way of cutting. That looks like a recipe for just the disaster you described. When I cut towards myself, it is a smaller vegetable and much smaller knife, and the knife is actually "aimed" (for lack of a better word) to the pad of my opposing thumb. Which, I might add, is so tough you'd really have to try to cut it (too many years of cooking?). Don't get me wrong, I DO cut myself on occasion, but usually because I forgot to ask hubby to sharpen the knives (a not-sharp-enough knife will slip off a surface) and I'm usually cutting correctly rather than the way Mom and Grams did it!