Dorm cooking!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was thinking of making stuff that doesn't have a heavy smell that would alert the RA or some curious ppl walking by.

I doubt I'd be able to cook at all in that situation. Everything I make has strong, robust flavors. If I can't smell it, I usually don't eat it.

I really like the idea of cooking freezer meals at another kitchen. That way I could cook what I like, and enjoy eating it where I live, if I was in the situation.

2 eggs in a cup... whisk them with a fork, microwave for 30 seconds on high.

Microwave Scrambled Eggs! :D

One more... if you can pull it off, is Microwave Chocolate Cake.

Ingredients:
4 Tablespoons plain flour
4 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons cocoa
1 Egg
3 Tablespoons milk
3 Tablespoons oil
1 Lge Mug
Instructions:
Mix flour, sugar and cocoa
Add the egg
Pour in milk and oil and mix well
Put in microwave for 3 minutes on maximum power (800watt)
Wait until it stops pulsing and sets nicely in the mug
Tip contents out of mug onto saucer and 'enjoy'

When I was in the Air Force we weren't supposed to cook in the barracks. Microwave ovens were not in common use then. You would be amazed at what we'd manage to cook in a coffee percolator (the old fashioned kind). And why? Don't ask me. We pretty much had access to food that wasn't bad most hours of the day (and some places I lived 24-hours) that we didn't have to pay extra for. Guess it is just the thrill of doing something "wrong".

When I was in the Air Force we weren't supposed to cook in the barracks. Microwave ovens were not in common use then. You would be amazed at what we'd manage to cook in a coffee percolator (the old fashioned kind). And why? Don't ask me. We pretty much had access to food that wasn't bad most hours of the day (and some places I lived 24-hours) that we didn't have to pay extra for. Guess it is just the thrill of doing something "wrong".

Claire, that brings back memories for me as well. When I was in a Grade 12 dorm I would survive liver nights by making KD in this little lidless electric kettle I found called a "hotpot" I would keep some milk and butter on my windowsill in the winter....out of view of the dorm ladies of course!

In university I shared a dorm "suite" with anywhere from 2 - 7 others. There were four burners and a bar fridge. Everyone would rent full size fridges and buy toaster ovens (microwaves were also not common). I made swiss steak, cakes, tons of things in that little toaster oven. We really weren't supposed to bring anything in, but no one ever got busted.

I had to master the 5 course microwave meal last year when I developed food allergies at college and couldn't eath the food of the school cafe. there are brands of frozen veggies that can be cooked in the microwave. There are also bags of rice that steam in the microwave. Also, don't turn up your nose at frozen food. It takes some time to find good ones. Big Y brand pizza bagles are my favorite.

Microwave bacon is great. Do you have a fridge? If you do, you can have salads. Put what ever you want in.

Also, eggs can be microwaved. It's not as good as frying them, but you can make scrambled and over easy eggs. It's been a while since I did it, but I think microwaving for 1 minute in a bowl, then flip then microwave for another minute. Dunkin Donuts adds diced pepers to theirs.

I have two friends who would hard boil a carton of eggs in a rice boiler once a week and eat them as the week wore on.

Raw veggies are great. Pepers and cucumbers make great cold sides as well as carrots and celery.

Baked potatoes can be cooked in the microwave. depending on size, I'd say 6 minutes per potato. When they are cooked, cut them in half and add shreded cheese, raw broccoli, and microw

For desert, instant pudding. Just add milk and let refrigerate (if you have access to one) for a few minutes. it's delicous.

also, don't forget canned soups and beans. and you could probubly steam in your rice cooker.

after some experimenting,I've figured out how to do pasta in the microwave. I don't have the cook time down yet, but I've found angle hair works best. It's thin, so it cooks faster. Don't use small pasta like alphabets or stars. When the water boils, they overflow and get all over your microwave.

Back
Top Bottom