Dorm cooking!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

masteraznchefjr

Sous Chef
Hello, I was wondering what I can make in my dorm. I only have a microwave and rice cooker steamer (not really supposed to have that though xD).

goodness you have the world in front of you if you have both of those.......we had ZIPPO in college........they had a kitchen you could use but it only contained a hot plate and a fridge.......and the lovely dorm mates that I had would steal anything that wasn't nailed down.....UNTIL Kicker Pam came along and kicked butt literally......she got so tired of her food walking away that she went home one weekend and brought back some delicious brownies.....you know what's coming next.....she put them in the fridge with a note not to touch........3 girls who were roomies went to the quack shack in the morning with severe diarrhea.........too funny.....oh, and the brownies seemed to have walked away in the meantime.........kicker Pam was something else.....she'd walk into the hallway and shout "Howdy, d.........it!"

What are you allowed to have? Do you have a Kitchenette? Do you least have a sink you can wash dishes/cookware with? There are a lot of ways to cook with "electric only" kitchenettes. Electric skillets, crockpots, toaster ovens, electric woks, etc.

Theres no kitchen technically we aren't even allowed to have a microwave I do have a sink because the bathroom is connected to my room

Are you on a meal plan? If not, you should really go get a book on cooking in the microwave. It will give you recipes that include the protein you need.

If you are on a meal plan but looking for a few extras ... I always loved nuking some black beans then mixing them with brown rice, salsa and some sour cream. I also loved dumping a can of vegetable soup into rice and eating like stew (not low in sodium but a good treat at 11:00 after studying). If your rice cooker has a steamer basket on top, you can steam some fish (think No-Name Salmon) while your rice cooks. I also liked browned hamburger (you can do it in the microwave) stirred into rice with cheese and soy sauce. Just a few ideas ... not super creative but tastey.

You can make stuff like this. http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/skirt-steak-sandwich-49788.html

Swap the skirt steak for some roast beef from a deli and use jarred peppers. Arrange the roast beef on a plate the shape of your bread and top with swiss. Microwave for a few seconds until the cheese is melted then build the sammy.

You can break down those roasted chickens at the supermarket for different dishes too. Just try to focus on different ingredients.

Can you have a toaster? (probobly not)

I think, too, it depends on when your dorm was built as to what they will allow appliance-wise....do NOT ever leave an elecrical appliance on while you're gone.....you should be there at all times.......my dorm was built at the turn of the century.......there probably was a reason they didn't want us having electrical appliances.....overloading the circuits is not a smart thing to do........

Holy Cow! You're at UCLA now! You have been missed!
Nice to have you back!
I remember that you were pretty knowledgeable in food.
Hey -
Can you sneak one of those little fridges into your dorm room?
You're not originally from CA, right? Do any of your school friends have parents that live nearby? Here's what I'm thinking. You could ask if you could do some freezer-type cooking, and keep your meals in their freezer. Then, when you need something, you can pick it up every few days, keep it in your fridge and then microwave it.
For use of their kitchen/freezer, you make extra meals for the family to use.

Congrats on UCLA, although out of state tuition is a pain the ***. Look on one of those recipe sites like allrecipes.com. They have tons of microwave recipes, or you can even pick up cookbooks that focus strictly on microwave recipes. In fact, the same can be done for cooking in a rice cooker.

UCLA huh?

You can make stuff like this. http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/skirt-steak-sandwich-49788.html

Swap the skirt steak for some roast beef from a deli and use jarred peppers. Arrange the roast beef on a plate the shape of your bread and top with swiss. Microwave for a few seconds until the cheese is melted then build the sammy.

You can break down those roasted chickens at the supermarket for different dishes too. Just try to focus on different ingredients.

Can you have a toaster? (probobly not)

Hmm my roomate is gonna sneak in a toaster. I was thinking of making stuff that doesn't have a heavy smell that would alert the RA or some curious ppl walking by.

Are you on a meal plan? If not, you should really go get a book on cooking in the microwave. It will give you recipes that include the protein you need.

If you are on a meal plan but looking for a few extras ... I always loved nuking some black beans then mixing them with brown rice, salsa and some sour cream. I also loved dumping a can of vegetable soup into rice and eating like stew (not low in sodium but a good treat at 11:00 after studying). If your rice cooker has a steamer basket on top, you can steam some fish (think No-Name Salmon) while your rice cooks. I also liked browned hamburger (you can do it in the microwave) stirred into rice with cheese and soy sauce. Just a few ideas ... not super creative but tastey.

hmmm I shall try those out. Yea I'm on a meal plan but i don't think i'd have time to go to the dining hall because of work xD.

As for the cookbook. Most of the stuff seem like snack stuff to me.

Holy Cow! You're at UCLA now! You have been missed!
Nice to have you back!
I remember that you were pretty knowledgeable in food.
Hey -
Can you sneak one of those little fridges into your dorm room?
You're not originally from CA, right? Do any of your school friends have parents that live nearby? Here's what I'm thinking. You could ask if you could do some freezer-type cooking, and keep your meals in their freezer. Then, when you need something, you can pick it up every few days, keep it in your fridge and then microwave it.
For use of their kitchen/freezer, you make extra meals for the family to use.

Ooo good idea. I should cook at my friend's apartment and pack freezer meals. I guess I need to do some shopping for tupperware :LOL:.

Congrats on UCLA, although out of state tuition is a pain the ***. Look on one of those recipe sites like allrecipes.com. They have tons of microwave recipes, or you can even pick up cookbooks that focus strictly on microwave recipes. In fact, the same can be done for cooking in a rice cooker.

UCLA huh?

^^ Yes UCLA. Hmm never knew rice cooker cookebooks exist.
n2504328_33052553_630.jpg

I used to use one of those IGLOO Thermoelectric cases that will either heat or cool, with an AC/DC adapter to use indoors. It was mostly used for cooling, but quickly went to heating when we had something to keep warm or heat up. Since the only thing that "runs" is a tiny fan, very little electricity is used.

I used to also sneak in a crockpot, but the aroma filled the whole dorm but nobody complained, but that may have been because I was older than most of the other students and had beer rights. :chef:

If you can get ahold of a drip coffee maker with a good sized pot you're in excellent shape. Ramen noodles and those flavored rice packages are a breeze to maker in your coffee pot, and you can also cook frozen vegetables in there. Make use of your meal plan, if you have one- and use what you can from the cafeteria to add to your in-dorm meals. For example, it's pretty tough took cook proteins well in a microwave or coffee pot, so buy a grilled chicken sandwich and take the chicken off to add to rice and vegetables.

my roomie brought in an electric skillet.......she made fried chicken for us one evening.....heavenly.........but we didn't have sanctions against cooking in our dorms ....the dorms were sorta new and they trusted us as 18 year olds..........

hahah i wish i could bring in an electric skillet, but i guess the smoke alarm will go off even if theres a little steam.

Back
Top Bottom