Easy Carrot Julienne

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stock Pot

Senior Cook
I had always julienned carrots the traditional way; cut rectangular planks out of the round carrot and cut those down to julienne.

Here is, I think, a better method I stumbled across. Cut the carrot on an extreme bias down the length of the carrot. This makes long oval planks that can then be easily julienned. Faster, less slicing and less waste.

I have one as well. It doesn't work as well as I hoped, but still the easiest way I have found. Pieces of the carrot break off and clog the peeler, and it's hard to find enough of the carrot to hold on to when nearing the end. Even with the negatives, it still gets regular use. I like adding carrots to cole slaw and salads.

I just use the larger hole side of my box grater. :) I know it's not 'julienned', but since I usually only make salad for one and prefer small slivers of carrot instead of chopped chunks, it works for me.

Attachments

• box grater.jpg
    box grater.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 189
I had always julienned carrots the traditional way; cut rectangular planks out of the round carrot and cut those down to julienne.

Here is, I think, a better method I stumbled across. Cut the carrot on an extreme bias down the length of the carrot. This makes long oval planks that can then be easily julienned. Faster, less slicing and less waste.
I agree, especially if I don't have one of the specialty tools or if I'm only doing a smallish quantity. I shared that tip a few years ago: Julienne a carrot (with pix)

I have that gadget like MsM and I use it a lot. I'll have to remember your slick tip Taxi and SP, as sometimes I'd like the pieces a little thicker than the gadget makes.

Last edited:
I have one as well. It doesn't work as well as I hoped, but still the easiest way I have found. Pieces of the carrot break off and clog the peeler, and it's hard to find enough of the carrot to hold on to when nearing the end. Even with the negatives, it still gets regular use. I like adding carrots to cole slaw and salads.

I use this to hold the carrot when it gets small. I also use it to make nice slices of tomatoes and onions etc.. I wish I could remember the name of this tool. I'd like to gift one but can't find it because I don't know the name. :(:ohmy: (I've looked at every tool on the pampered chef site but can't find it)

pampered_chef_prep_tool_112017_IMG_3472.JPG

Last edited:
The easiest way I have found is,

91A2mgoas8L._SX522_.jpg

These wouldn't be technically correct to a French standard (where most if not all of these knife cuts were standardized, if it matters to you). The method you describe is usually recommended for celery since it's hard to square it off like you can a carrot. Even then, the parts on the outside bias cut are discarded since they contain part of the oval.

These wouldn't be technically correct to a French standard (where most if not all of these knife cuts were standardized, if it matters to you). The method you describe is usually recommended for celery since it's hard to square it off like you can a carrot. Even then, the parts on the outside bias cut are discarded since they contain part of the oval.

Unless you haven't noticed, most of use are home cooks. Personally, I go by my own standards.;)

Unless you haven't noticed, most of use are home cooks. Personally, I go by my own standards.;)

Couple of things:

Cutting the carrot into a block before doing the julienne cuts lets you exclude the woody core of the carrot. Cutting on the bias will include the core, if there is one, and there usually is to some degree on a carrot of any size at all. Other cuts that include the core typically imply the carrot is there for flavoring only and will not be served with the finished dish.

Knife cuts aren't arbitrary or for looks only. The post was for those willing to look past the end of their own nose, learn something new, etc.

Cheers,

Charles

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom