"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 01-04-2007, 07:56 PM   #91
Senior Cook

does it really take 9 or 10 pages to say this?
1) try to observe some semblance of manners and respect for the host, the occasion & the food in a social situation
2) eat as you prefer at home

if you guys can't stop bickering at the table, i'm gonna start throwing my peas.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:11 PM   #92
Head Chef

It all started with IronChef's The Christmas Degustation Menu 2006.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:11 PM   #93
Certified Pretend Chef

Brava, Vera. I am with you 100%.

Let's keep in mind that Vera was describing an instructional class, not an entertainment for people who didn't want to be there. If it were graded, few , if any, would get an A. Sadly, they didn't realize this was info that was important to them.

These youngsters are going out into the business world and other venues where they will be working for, negotiating with, selling to, trying to impress, etc., people of the previous generation. Without these basic skills, they will be up the creek. Associates and superiors, clients, customers, officials, and other people who these youngsters are trying to impress will be turned off by their lack of basic skills. First impressions are very strong.

The same goes for proper grammar, but that's a whole other thread...
Old 01-04-2007, 11:39 PM   #94
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
The same goes for proper grammar, but that's a whole other thread...
Doh!
I don't think I could take it if she took to reprimanding me for grammar or, God forbid, punctuation.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:06 AM   #95
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
Doh!
I don't think I could take it if she took to reprimanding me for grammar or, God forbid, punctuation.
I am thinking bad cliche's would more be associated with good manners than the written word. Although a lot has been said about thankyou notes. Older people's cliche's are "oh, I know" and "you know what I mean" (not a clue).
A lot of older people do not get the recognition that they deserve. I have middle aged friends who say "rats!" frequently.

I respond to a nice gift with a thoughtful thankyou. I do not respond to tacky clearance rack specials or pass around (rewrap) gifts. There is always a thankyou for a heirloom gift. There are always cookies for someone who has done something nice for me.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:20 AM   #96
Head Chef

Very often, the best way to recognize good manners is the grace with which the assaults upon those standards are ignored.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:54 AM   #97
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
Doh!
Touché. It does please me to no end that you understand I could write volumes on that topic, as well.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:47 AM   #98
Sous Chef

The toilet comment was in regards to the invention of the original toilet by T.J. Crapper back in the 1800's (calling a toilet a "Crapper" isn't actually a bad thing... it's historically correct - haha). The original loo made lots of noise as the water was held above, and came crashing down when the throne was flushed. This of course had Victorian women everywhere fainting or calling the doc due to prolonged periods of time without using the device. They would rather end up severly constipated than alert others to the fact that they were pinching a loaf. I'm simply pointing out that everyone is human, and that many of these "proper" victorian-era relics are dying off as people become much more in touch with reality. By the way, I got this info from a book someone gave me years ago as a joke entitled, "How to $#!t in the Woods". Amazingly, it has sold in excess of a million copies because people have actually forgotten how to dig a cathole and squat behind a tree.

Most of these "manners" type-things are just routines that people follow, and no longer hold any true core of gratitude or respect. I get Birthday Cards in the mail from credit card companies that are simply printed out and mailed by computers a few days in advance. When we went to the movies the other day, the lady tearing our ticket-stub said "Thank-You" before handing it back to me. I stopped and listened for a minute. "Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Than...". I mean really... does she actually feel gratitude and feel the need to express it for every person? To me false-gratitude is worse than saying nothing at all. Sometimes it just makes me laugh.

If I was in a business situation where I was seeking someone elses money, I would of course better my chances by following what they felt is proper. Personally though, I find "The Suit" with an upturned nose an instant turnoff. I look for honesty and someone who makes me feel comfortable when I'm around them. Usually when I see a suit and big smile I think "CAR SALESMAN BS! ... RUN!"

I would also disagree that Vegas is not a model of American Society (especially that related to out capitalist society). It's supply & demand nurtured in the middle of a PetriDish-like desert. People get what they want and give billions for it. Talk about a successful business model! People actually fly thousands of miles just to have those services!

Anyhoo, it's just my opinion.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:09 AM   #99
Executive Chef

Okay, Nicholas, I truly believe we've run the gamut, you and I, with this topic.
Clearly, we see things quite differently, for a variety of reasons. I'd like to end by saying that the comment regarding victorian era relics not being in touch with reality offensive.
Rather than belabour the subject, I'm willing to cede the point to a draw. Never was it my intention to change anyone's way of thinking. I do, however, reserve the right to challenge those I disagree with.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:15 AM   #100
Sous Chef

I never said you didn't have the right to your opinion. I was just expressing one that differs from yours.
No need to be offended by it, we're all just chipping in and making discussion/debate what it is!