"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 01-02-2007, 06:08 PM   #41
Master Chef

I haven't read the thread, so I am answering to the first post. And apologizing if I am repeating what was already said.
Couple of things: There are certain foods that you would only truly, no Truly enjoy if you would eat them the way they were created to eat. Shish Kebobs one of those foods. IMHO they absolutely must be eaten from the skewer.

Another point, never, Never eat spaghetti with the spoon and fork, at least not in Italian place, people will quietly laugh at you, or make fun. Big no-no. You Only eat spaghetti with the fork.

Now having said all of that, I have the hardest time to have my younger son to hold fork, or spoon, or knife for that matter properly. Every day we eat, and every day I have to tell him 10 times to hold the spoon/fork right, a minute latter he is holding it wrong. I donít know what to do with him. He is 11. Any suggestions?

Old 01-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
The hat indoors thing really bothers me. I grew up in a home where you'd get your hat knocked off head if you wore it indoors.
I, guess, you'd be better of not to eat in the observant Jews house, Hat is the Must!

Old 01-02-2007, 06:26 PM   #43
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Also in Italy, aside from a street take away pizzeria where you buy them by a slice (here they usually fold the slice in two to make a "sandwich"), at a table people eat their pizzas with knife and fork, very rarely they grab a slice by hand. It took me a while before I realized this, and while no one say anything, it makes me feel a little barbaric.... thus I learned to eat with knife and fork if I do eat them in a restaurant... however we rarely do... we prefer our own homemade pizza at home!
For me, the only way to eat pizza is to grab a slice and bite into it. Otherwise, it simply doesn't taste as good! I'd do this with no concern for etiquette at any pizza joint. (Of course I'd take care to keep my face free of tomato sauce and oil -- table napkins are essential!) Now at fancier Italian restos, if I'm with close friends or family, I'd still do the same. (Heck, it's the only way to enjoy my pizza!) But if it's with polite company then I'll grudgingly do the knife and fork thing.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:30 PM   #44
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
...I have the hardest time to have my younger son to hold fork, or spoon, or knife for that matter properly. Every day we eat, and every day I have to tell him 10 times to hold the spoon/fork right, a minute latter he is holding it wrong. I donít know what to do with him. He is 11. Any suggestions?
Perhaps a reward system rather than nagging. He knows how to hold his utensils correctly... right? I mean, after all, you DO tell him repeatedly. How about you say something like, "son, I know you're probably getting as tired of hearing my nagging as I am of doing it... so how about I stop. Instead, I'll just keep an eye on you when we eat and, if you pass to my satisfaction, (I'll let you... I'll give you... We'll go...)" It doesn't have to be much.

By the way, howz your knife/fork style? When I grew up I was never allowed to eat from the fork in my left hand. After I cut the meat, I had to put my knife down and transfer the fork to my right hand. Anybody else have to do that? Much later, when I was in Australia, I developed the habit (common among the people where I lived) of cutting with the right and eating with the left, with the fork in the 'upside down' position. Then, when I moved back to the U.S. people called my eating style 'European'. Now I'm not sure what is proper any more.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:39 PM   #45
Head Chef

Z, the way you were taught to hold a knife and then switch your fork is the way I was taught too. Hubby and his family are from the Netherlands (late FIL was raised on Sumatra) and he was taught to eat using the fork in the left hand. Of course I wonder if hubby's manners (mostly good with a few things that probably will never change......) are due to his Mother's lack of manners at a table. His Father was always gone when he was small so he never picked up his Father's "beyond polite" manners. I don't expect "royal" manners at the table at home but I do expect some manners.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:18 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Z

By the way, howz your knife/fork style? When I grew up I was never allowed to eat from the fork in my left hand. After I cut the meat, I had to put my knife down and transfer the fork to my right hand. Anybody else have to do that? Much later, when I was in Australia, I developed the habit (common among the people where I lived) of cutting with the right and eating with the left, with the fork in the 'upside down' position. Then, when I moved back to the U.S. people called my eating style 'European'. Now I'm not sure what is proper any more.
There is a military story about Americans and German spies....seems the best way for the americans to know who the spies were in their company was to invite them to dinner. When they cut the meat and kept the fork in the left hand it usually gave their secret away.

I also transfer my fork when I cut, most of the time. I'll usually cut two or three pieces so I don't have to keep switching.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:13 PM   #47
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Z
Perhaps a reward system rather than nagging. ................

.............Then, when I moved back to the U.S. people called my eating style 'European'. Now I'm not sure what is proper any more.
I think i might just use your sugestion and start rewarding him.

As far as knife/fork style, I guess, you will call mine "Europian" as well. That is because I am from Europe, kind of, Ukraine. Interestingly my father was/is a very simple man and he would always cut up what ever need to be cut up. put the knife down and then will eat. Me, hm, as a very young child I saw the movie about some nobility and how they were eating and started to eat that way. always with the knife nad fork, always very proper, even in most relaxed and un proper situations.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:53 PM   #48
Senior Cook

proper american table manners when using both fork and knife = the utensil that's doing the work is in the right hand; hence the fork is transfered back and forth.

proper european table manners = the fork stays in the left while the knife remains in the right, ready to slice.

american usage is a little more comfortable for most people, since most are right handed.

european usage is more efficient.

there are no rights and wrongs about either being proper, being culturally determined customs. the closest thing to being correct would be this: when in rome, do as the romans do. either that, or be comfortable with your own usage and eat as you please.

if you eat with a certain amount of grace, you're doing well enough.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:25 PM   #49
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
I haven't read the thread, so I am answering to the first post. And apologizing if I am repeating what was already said.
Couple of things: There are certain foods that you would only truly, no Truly enjoy if you would eat them the way they were created to eat. Shish Kebobs one of those foods. IMHO they absolutely must be eaten from the skewer.

Another point, never, Never eat spaghetti with the spoon and fork, at least not in Italian place, people will quietly laugh at you, or make fun. Big no-no. You Only eat spaghetti with the fork.

Now having said all of that, I have the hardest time to have my younger son to hold fork, or spoon, or knife for that matter properly. Every day we eat, and every day I have to tell him 10 times to hold the spoon/fork right, a minute latter he is holding it wrong. I donít know what to do with him. He is 11. Any suggestions?
I have never been laughed at in an American "Italian" Restaurant or any other restaurant in the U.S.A. They are kinda dependent on their customers to stay in business. Many of the restaurant owners in our country are at least third generation Americans.

My tip system: tip for good service, tip for good food, & good etc.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:00 AM   #50
Certified Pretend Chef

I often see a large spoon delivered to the table when a spaghetti dish is served to a customer. I guess the think you'll need one.