Eating Etiquette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, we also had jokes about "boarding house reach". We were also taught certain manners for home (where you could be more casual) and for formal dinners. I'm very grateful for that training. Barbecues? Give me a break. I love barbecues, but the only etiquette that comes in is don't annoy your neighbors. Eat with your mouth shut, be sociable, have fun.

Other intersting points were that my father brought home the bacon, so to speak (still does -- husband retired, Dad still working!). No one starts eating until he took his first bite. No one takes the last serving on the plate (seconds) until you offer it (I.e., "does anyone else want this last pork chop?"). It's kind of funny that I don't remember this ever being spoken when I was a child. It just was. I have some BIL's who when they first became part of the family, would sit down and just grab and eat and grab and eat, and Dad would still be on his salad. My sisters had to retrain them. Daddy put the food on the table and you WILL respect that.

Back
Top Bottom