"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 02-25-2007, 12:36 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
is there any sort of "Trick" that can be employed to boycot this effect?

it`s quite evident I`m not alone.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:52 AM   #12
Master Chef

Well, YT, we all know you are strange!

But, the obvious aside, you do bring up a good point!

While cooking aromas can stimulate my appetite - especially aromas from long slow cooked foods where I am not actively in the kitchen ... if I am slaving away in the kitchen to prepare a large meal (like Thanksgiving or Christmas) I do find that I am not hungry when the meal is finally on the table ... it's not until a couple of hours later that I regain my appetite.

I always thought it was fatigue that zapped my hunger ... but, could it actually be that "olfactory overload", along with occasional tasting, has satiated my hunger neurons?

Humm ... a most provocative question.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:02 AM   #13
Head Chef

This happens to me too, but I admit I am a taste as I go along kinda gal, and I am sure I consume far more than I realise this way. When entertaining I think its actually kind of a bonus, because its easy to get a satisfying meal along with being a goo host, but yes, the rest of the time it sucks. What generally happens is I have a very small serving with DH, then, later when I feel less "overwhelmed" have another one. This is not a good soloution, for two reasons: 1. ultimately two small servings are bigger than one normal sized one, this is not good for my waistline, 2: it means I am peckish, and therefore having that second serving, too soon to going to bed!
Old 02-26-2007, 04:51 AM   #14
Head Chef

Do I spot a dieting technique about to be identified? Stick your head over the pot and inhale for two hours - calorie-free but satisfying all the same!
Old 02-26-2007, 05:57 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Over time his cold got better, but a curious side effect of the Zicam was loss of his olfactory accuity. He lost his sense of smell!

It wasn't the Zicam and these lawyers are being opportunists of the first order. It was the virus that attacked his olfactory nerve and he is lucky to have recovered.
It is not uncommon. My DMIL had it happen to her, but she never recovered her sense of smell--which is, of course, a majority of your sense of taste also. She continued to be an absolutely wonderful cook but could really only discern sweet, sour, salty, but not flavors. It was a bit of a danger when it came to smelling smoke!
Every time I have a cold and I lose my sense of smell/taste I am SO afraid that it will happen to me.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:00 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095
is there any sort of "Trick" that can be employed to boycot this effect?

it`s quite evident I`m not alone.
I'm thinking, Stick Modeling Clay Up Your Nose!

I have a two canister filter mask I used to where when working with epoxy paints. That pretty much took all the odors away. But if people saw you wearing it while you were cooking, would they eat it?

I think activated charcoal granules in the nostrils would negate your sense of smell. Hee hee hee.

But seriously, I've never experienced this problem. I'm stumped. This is a new one to me. Good luck with it.

And yes, you are strange. If you weren't, you wouldn't fit in so well in this world of madmen and crazy ladies.

Hey, from my perspective (on the Western side of the Atlantic), you fit the lyrics from an Elton John song, "Madman Accross the Water".

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:36 AM   #17
Head Chef

Goodweed, that is the maddest post by you I've read yet. What has got into you? Jollity over Kaysee possibly feeling better or the energising effect of oatmeal? Your recipes for the DC Chef competition must be pretty good if it's that!
Old 02-26-2007, 11:55 AM   #18
Executive Chef

I have a Full Face NATO Issue gas mask with Israeli NBC filters, S10 fittings (No I`m not kidding).

and the only Time I use that is For particularly toxic chems or changing my daughters Diapers when Mommy isn`t around (I`m still not kidding) and I use Nitrile gloves.

I Flatly Refuse! to wear this in a Hot Kitchen though, anyone that`s ever had to wear one will tell you that 20 mins with it on even at Room temp starts to get a Little Hot, 3 hours over a stove.... Naah

a Clothes peg however... :)

Old 02-26-2007, 12:36 PM   #19
Head Chef

YT, I have had the same thing/problem for over 25 years!! It is more common than you think!! It does not have to be a big meal (I do not taste constantly either) but I need to sometimes wait quite awhile before I can eat after cooking. My son-in-law could not understand this quirk for many years and is coming around on the issue.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:49 PM   #20
Executive Chef

I guess it`s like someone that works at MacTransfat and the last thing they want to eat is a Burger and Fries when they get back home.
and it Must be more common than it 1`st seems, because the Cadburys choc factory (not far from where we live actually) let their employees eat all the choc the want, the Most Ardent chocyholic doesn`t last more than 2 weeks!
then it`s just a Job and not "heaven" anymore.