Eating with your Nose :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Happens to me all the time. But I wonder if it is not the tasting that one does during cooking. I know, I taste everything i cook, and maybe simply that tasting ruins my appetate?

SATIETY - that's what we are talking about .... and would you believe there is a lot of research that has been done, and is still going on, about it? And, yep Snoop Puss - aroma therapy dieting is part of it!

It appears that, at least in part, hunger and satiety is all in our minds.

Last edited:
It happens to me too, even when I don't do a lot of tasting. But, I usually drink several glasses of water while I'm cooking. I know that fills me up some too.

Sorry to barge back in, but YT there is a remedy... keep a small tin of fresh coffee grounds handy. When you sense olfactory fatuige take a deep whiff of the coffee.

Perk the old nose right up.

And for the poster who thinks Zicam does not impact the nose... i disagree.

i've experienced the same effect as you weirdos :) , especially if the thing i'm cooking requires a long time and a lot of tasting and adjusting spices.

the only remedy i've found is to get some fresh air for a good 10 minutes or so, change out of the clothes in which you've cooked, and have a glass or 4 of wine.

the fresh air and change of clothes seems to clear the nose, and the wine kick starts the appetite. beer works too, but not as well.

i worked at burger king for a short time when i was a kid. i went home with the smell of stale burger and french fry grease on me every night, and couldn't wait to take a shower and get out of those clothes.
i didn't have a fast food burger for more than 10 years because i could detect that smell. to this day, the smell of old or stale cooking fat it makes me a little queasy.

This could be why we don't enjoy home baked bread as much as we think. The smell of the dough for hours before it is actually baked. Or why some folks can't handle onions.
But don't think that you will get too far from turkey on Thanksgiving here in the USA or the outdoor cooking on July 4th.

buckytom said:
i've experienced the same effect as you weirdos :) , ...

Weirdos! Weirdos!:wacko: Who you calin' weirdos? Your invitation to next summer's "He-Man-Woman-Hater's-Camp" is on the line ya know. Ya better up that title to down-right nuts.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North:cool:

:) Happens to me all the time at my job I work at for 2 months in Texas I cook big meals for my boss and all their guests.By the time I planned menu,shopped for menu usually 3 carts full not counting the fish and meat she brings from Houston,Then I prep the day before they arrive and the prep the next day and cook the first dinner that night,a small breakfast the next day a cookout and dinner that night then brunch on sunday then they all leave.WHEW!I get rave reviews by all but by then Im not so impressed with my own food.I know it's good but imagining the flavor combinations and smelling and tasting each meal really dulls my senses and appetite by the time it gets on the plate.
On the other hand anybody can make something as simple as scrambled eggs and they are the best I ever had cuz I did not make them.

eating with your nose

A long time ago once when I was expecting my second child I put a beef roast in the oven and then after smelling it for a while I got sssssssssssssooooooooooooooo sick. I think I had nothing more left to give up. Ever since that episode I do not like to smell beef roasting. So you see I do understand. Now if I don't have to smell it I can really enjoy a good piece of beef and prime rib, just don't expect me to make it.

jpmcgrew said:
:) On the other hand anybody can make something as simple as scrambled eggs and they are the best I ever had cuz I did not make them.

The same is true for me too.

I know. When I make something really good, it's usually just Ok to me, though others may rave about it. But when someone else makes the same dish, even if it's exactly the same as when I made it, somehow it tastes a whole bunch better. How does that work?:ohmy: :wacko:

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Michael in FtW said:
SATIETY - that's what we are talking about .... and would you believe there is a lot of research that has been done, and is still going on, about it? And, yep Snoop Puss - aroma therapy dieting is part of it!

It appears that, at least in part, hunger and satiety is all in our minds.

I beg to differ - somehow it's found it's way to MY hips! I don't eat that much - but I couldn't prove it to you! :mad:

When I cook for days for Thanksgiving and everyone is sitting down I could just ralph at the thoughts of eating. It's usually hours later or even the next morning.

I, too, have often found myself not very hungry by the time I get a big meal on the table. But then, I've usually consumed a large portion of it through tasting/smelling. Aroma is a large portion of appetite. My sniffer has been "off" for a few months, and I have to have hubby do a tasting or two before I can serve a meal.

Most people I cook for think that I just love the cooking bit and not the eating part of it, and they are wrong. I should show them this thread :) I have tried to explain to lots of people that it's the smell that makes me not feel like eating much after cooking. Usually I would prefer to eat a wee bit later after cooking a meal that takes time,but by then everyone wants the meal asap. Can't win!

We have two restaurants around the corner. One is a family style restaurant and the other is a sandwich shop. Some days the smell of onions cooking is so over powering it makes you sick at your stomach. I thought it was the sandwich shop but a neighbor said it was the family style restaurant where she worked. I really don't know what to believe because the smell starts really early in the morning and the sandwich shop doesn't open until later. (I don't know if she really worked there or not.) I just wish there was an air filter for this. We have an enormous park in the center of town. On one side you get fried chicken smell, another roast beef, next Mexican, and last is the pizza side. There is no wonder the squirrels won't eat popcorn!

I know the feeling StirBlue. I used to live near quite a famous restaurant in Barcelona. All the tourists would come and look at the chickens roasting on the spit in front of the wood fire. I used to curse that place, as did all the other neighbours. They paid no attention to local bylaws and never did anything to control their fumes. I'd regularly wake up with soot on my pillow from their chimney. Fortunately, the wind only rarely blew it all in our direction, but for other neighbours, the smoke and smell was intolerable.

mudbug said:
wonder how all the famous chefs we admire/respect experience this........

Their Sous Chefs probably experience it more!!:chef:

If I'm cookong just for family everything'ss fine.
When we have people here for dinner, by the time we all sit down and they are (hopefully) enjoying the meal, it tastes like sawdust in my mouth.!:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom