Eating with your Nose :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YT2095

Executive Chef
I`m fairly sure this fits under the Techniques catagory.

I`m equaly sure I`m not the only one that`s done this either, you stand a long time preparing a cooking a meal, smelling it all the time, and when it comes time to serve up, you can hardly eat any, you`re already Full Up!:(

it`s not so bad if it`s a stew or a soup or something that`s for the next day, but what about the other times?

any Hints/Tips ?

I've had that happen when preparing a big meal for company. By the time it's cooked, I've smelled and tasted till I'm tired of it. Now, the next day, I'm all over those leftovers.

Now, be honest, have you been tasting along with the smelling? ;o)
No, IF I haven't been tasting (as I often do all T'giving morning because it smells SSSSOOOOO good), I am ready to eat it.

if I taste it, it`s a fraction of a T spoon, and total wouldn`t fill a mouse.

it`s not that, Honestly, even if someone else is Cooking it happens, it`s like I`ve already eaten a good half of it already.

for example (the thing that made me post this in the 1`st place); I have Jerky doing in the oven downstairs, I`ve obviously not tried any yet, but if it was done NOW, I wouldn`t eat any, it would have to be something entirely different and then I could eat it.

Please don`t say I`m the ONLY "Strange" one on here :P

I have to confess to that particular strangeness as well.:-p

Often, when I have been cooking for an extended period, I am not hungry at all when dinner is served. This is true even if I have missed lunch or eaten less than usual because I was busy cooking.

So, YT, you are not alone in this 'strangeness', you share it with me.

Fear not, from where I sit, you are pretty strange in a numberr of ways that are unique. :rolleyes:

I do not want to hijack your thread but since you are on to something here, let me mention it.

My son loves to cook too, but he is not active on this site. About two years ago he had a bad cold. He took Zicam to shorten his symptoms, just as advertised. He took another dose, then another. (no warings on the package)

Over time his cold got better, but a curious side effect of the Zicam was loss of his olfactory accuity. He lost his sense of smell!

He looked into the issue on the web. He was/is not the first. There are class action suits under way. He feared his loss was permanent. Over time it has returned, slowly, and gradually, but still he cannot taste certain things... cocoa cola for instance is totally lost to him.

Fortunately he does not drink cokes that often... but it was a long two years.

FYI. take no more than one dose of this stuff.

Andy M. said:
Fear not, from where I sit, you are pretty strange in a numberr of ways that are unique. :rolleyes:

I`m an Englishman, I`m allowed to be Eccentric, being a Scientist makes it doubley so!;)

I`ll take that as a Compliment :rolleyes:

I barely taste as I go along but smelling it all day long really makes me tired of it.

It's really bad at the holidays when I'm cooking for several days. I just don't want to eat the dinner for a day or 2 but I make a small plate since I've been called on it many times.

is there any sort of "Trick" that can be employed to boycot this effect?

it`s quite evident I`m not alone.

Well, YT, we all know you are strange! :whistling

But, the obvious aside, you do bring up a good point!

While cooking aromas can stimulate my appetite - especially aromas from long slow cooked foods where I am not actively in the kitchen ... if I am slaving away in the kitchen to prepare a large meal (like Thanksgiving or Christmas) I do find that I am not hungry when the meal is finally on the table ... it's not until a couple of hours later that I regain my appetite.

I always thought it was fatigue that zapped my hunger ... but, could it actually be that "olfactory overload", along with occasional tasting, has satiated my hunger neurons?

Humm ... a most provocative question.

This happens to me too, but I admit I am a taste as I go along kinda gal, and I am sure I consume far more than I realise this way. When entertaining I think its actually kind of a bonus, because its easy to get a satisfying meal along with being a goo host, but yes, the rest of the time it sucks. What generally happens is I have a very small serving with DH, then, later when I feel less "overwhelmed" have another one. This is not a good soloution, for two reasons: 1. ultimately two small servings are bigger than one normal sized one, this is not good for my waistline, 2: it means I am peckish, and therefore having that second serving, too soon to going to bed!

Do I spot a dieting technique about to be identified? Stick your head over the pot and inhale for two hours - calorie-free but satisfying all the same!

Over time his cold got better, but a curious side effect of the Zicam was loss of his olfactory accuity. He lost his sense of smell!

It wasn't the Zicam and these lawyers are being opportunists of the first order. It was the virus that attacked his olfactory nerve and he is lucky to have recovered.
It is not uncommon. My DMIL had it happen to her, but she never recovered her sense of smell--which is, of course, a majority of your sense of taste also. She continued to be an absolutely wonderful cook but could really only discern sweet, sour, salty, but not flavors. It was a bit of a danger when it came to smelling smoke!
Every time I have a cold and I lose my sense of smell/taste I am SO afraid that it will happen to me.

YT2095 said:
is there any sort of "Trick" that can be employed to boycot this effect?

it`s quite evident I`m not alone.

I'm thinking, Stick Modeling Clay Up Your Nose!:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I have a two canister filter mask I used to where when working with epoxy paints. That pretty much took all the odors away. But if people saw you wearing it while you were cooking, would they eat it?:huh:

I think activated charcoal granules in the nostrils would negate your sense of smell. Hee hee hee.

But seriously, I've never experienced this problem. I'm stumped. This is a new one to me. Good luck with it.

And yes, you are strange. If you weren't, you wouldn't fit in so well in this world of madmen and crazy ladies.

Hey, from my perspective (on the Western side of the Atlantic), you fit the lyrics from an Elton John song, "Madman Accross the Water".:rolleyes:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed, that is the maddest post by you I've read yet. What has got into you? Jollity over Kaysee possibly feeling better or the energising effect of oatmeal? Your recipes for the DC Chef competition must be pretty good if it's that!

I have a Full Face NATO Issue gas mask with Israeli NBC filters, S10 fittings (No I`m not kidding).

and the only Time I use that is For particularly toxic chems or changing my daughters Diapers when Mommy isn`t around (I`m still not kidding) and I use Nitrile gloves.

I Flatly Refuse! to wear this in a Hot Kitchen though, anyone that`s ever had to wear one will tell you that 20 mins with it on even at Room temp starts to get a Little Hot, 3 hours over a stove.... Naah

a Clothes peg however... :)

YT, I have had the same thing/problem for over 25 years!! It is more common than you think!! It does not have to be a big meal (I do not taste constantly either) but I need to sometimes wait quite awhile before I can eat after cooking. My son-in-law could not understand this quirk for many years and is coming around on the issue.

I guess it`s like someone that works at MacTransfat and the last thing they want to eat is a Burger and Fries when they get back home.
and it Must be more common than it 1`st seems, because the Cadburys choc factory (not far from where we live actually) let their employees eat all the choc the want, the Most Ardent chocyholic doesn`t last more than 2 weeks!
then it`s just a Job and not "heaven" anymore.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom