"en papilotte"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baking fool

Senior Cook
katie e said in the roasted potatoes thread that she does them "en papilotte" which means wrapped in paper (or aluminum foil). what else can be done that way? i guess doing it that way steams whatever's inside, so i could put chicken breasts & herbs, etc inside, or anything else? sounds almost like those oven bags that you can buy at a grocery store.

Baking fool,
Many things can be done that way. Chicken,fish is wonderful,a veggie packet. Let your imagination be your guide..If I can help in anyway let me know.

kadesma:)

kadesma said:
Baking fool,
Many things can be done that way. Chicken,fish is wonderful,a veggie packet. Let your imagination be your guide..If I can help in anyway let me know.

kadesma:)

that's what i thought. just as many things can be grilled, or roasted (or microwaved :wacko:) many things could be cooked en papilotte. how do i say it though? veggies en papilotte?

baking fool said:
that's what i thought. just as many things can be grilled, or roasted (or microwaved :wacko:) many things could be cooked en papilotte. how do i say it though? veggies en papilotte?
Beats me, i'd just say packaged veggies:) Fancy names might look nice, but it's what's on your plate that counts..

kadesma

baking fool said:
Yes, bakingfool, many things can be cooked en papillote. Salmon is delicious, as are chicken breasts. You are correct in how you reference these dishes. Salmon would be salmon en papilotte. Chicken...chicken en papillote. You get the idea.

You don't get quite the same result if you use oven cooking bags because they have to have slits cut in them. Otherwise there is a risk of them exploding/popping open during cooking because of the buildup of steam. The parchment, as you guessed, breathes enough and the parchment "packets" do puff a bit. That's nothing to worry about.

Some cooks will brush the unsealed edges with egg white before crimping to ensure a more secure seal. I've never had a problem not doing that.

Back
Top Bottom